Help me come up with my 50th Birthday (or my Memorial) 5 year aged Barleywine recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
155753_462181279066_620469066_5579687_5930930_n.jpg

The strong ale from the second runnings of the barleywine. It's been in the bottle for close to three weeks, I wanted to know if it was going to be worth chilling some to bring to the family on Turkey Day. I thinks it's ready!!!! It is delicious. Think Arrogant bastard with an even more caramel backbone. Very strong Centennial/cascade hoppiness. And a bit of an alcohol bite to it. Very nice second running's beer. If this is a pale shadow of the barleywine, then THAT will be awesome.

Revvy, I'm sure you wouldn't know me from anyone else on here, but i just came across this thread. I'm sorry to hear about your health issues and I'm really glad that you had an epic brew day. It looked like a blast. I always find your posts enlightening and, many times, comforting for us newbies who don't have a full year of brewing under our belt yet.

Revvy, I'm sure you wouldn't know me from anyone else on here, but i just came across this thread. I'm sorry to hear about your health issues and I'm really glad that you had an epic brew day. It looked like a blast. I always find your posts enlightening and, many times, comforting for us newbies who don't have a full year of brewing under our belt yet.

well put.

Im still showing people pictures of your brochet.. it looks fantastic. In fact, it made me really want to try a mead.

keep keeping us posted on the outcome.

and thanks again for putting up with us. ;)

FYI, for those of you who aren't members and see the other thread, I figure I should update you all on here as well.

I saw the cardiologist on Tues, for the 3 month followup.....And it looks like the valve surgery is going to happen sooner than later. Like early in the new year. Looks like the drug regimen isn't working as well as Dr. G hoped it would. I shouldn't still get winded as much as I do. Next month I have to have another echo and some other test, then see him a couple weeks later, then we'll see when. But it probably won't be long past that.

I was hoping he'd say he wanted me on a treadmill for a half hour a day or something to strengthen the heart, and to see him in 3 more months for an echo. But he doesn't think exertion like that is a good idea.

He's still stumped and he's shopped my file around to his partner's for their opinions. But evidently my case is a stumper. He still thinks the myopothy is a seperate issue from the valve. But he also thinks the amount of physical fatigue I get from the simplest if activites doesn't jibe with my ejection fraction and how the valve looks. He says the valve is bad, but I still should have had improvement from the drugs.

He did double the Metoprolol to 100 mg though. Maybe that will be some improvement in the month that will change it...but who knows.

Hang on and head up mate, less time for homebrewing, more time to help us out of our doubts ;)

And if you're feeling down, keep in mind the dancing banana :ban: :D

Good luck and a warm hug from Italy :)
Piteko

Hang in there Revvy...

We are all pulling for you here!

As others have said, awesome pics/brew day. You, and your brewing friends, will be around to sample each and every one of those fine brews!

I'm sure you know tons on this but >>> Medicine and surgery concerning the heart has come along way since I was first exposed to it about 30 years ago. The doctors look at triple bypasses these days and are literally like, "oh this is an easy one". I've seen them say it. Don't worry Before you know it you'll be recovered. You're inspiring! I don't usually join join sites but I'm planning on becoming a lifetime member to this site and reading what you and Bobby M. write is most of the reason cause you rock. Don't worry Revvy Mega Best Wishes, Virginia Wolf

Just finished reading this thread.

I want to make sure I have the ability to throw my voice out there as well.

You may not know me, but I definitely know you through everything I've read and absorbed from your wise posts. You are a beer god and I look forward to learning more from you.

Good luck with everything! :mug:

Justin

I'm sure you know tons on this but >>> Medicine and surgery concerning the heart has come along way since I was first exposed to it about 30 years ago. The doctors look at triple bypasses these days and are literally like, "oh this is an easy one". I've seen them say it. Don't worry Before you know it you'll be recovered. You're inspiring! I don't usually join join sites but I'm planning on becoming a lifetime member to this site and reading what you and Bobby M. write is most of the reason cause you rock. Don't worry Revvy Mega Best Wishes, Virginia Wolf

There is another one Revvy! I need to start a thread, "Who coughed up a membership because of Revvy?"

I was sold on the bucket in a bucket grinder, it was my third or so project related to this site, and joined. Prayers are with you, Revvy.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

There is another one Revvy! I need to start a thread, "Who coughed up a membership because of Revvy?"

I was sold on the bucket in a bucket grinder, it was my third or so project related to this site, and joined. Prayers are with you, Revvy.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Thanks again buddy, and you too Haputanlas! :mug:

Well I pulled another sample of the beer yesterday. It's still at 1.040 (which I'm not sure that is not too unrealsonably high a gravity for a 12.5% barleywine) but it tastes fantastic, both hoppy and sweet.

I still don't know if I want to add some champagne yeast to bring it down some more....though I don't know if there really are many unfermentable sugars left, I'm not sure if I want to change the flavor profile by drying it up any.

Thanks again buddy, and you too Haputanlas! :mug:

Well I pulled another sample of the beer yesterday. It's still at 1.040 (which I'm not sure that is not too unrealsonably high a gravity for a 12.5% barleywine) but it tastes fantastic, both hoppy and sweet.

I still don't know if I want to add some champagne yeast to bring it down some more....though I don't know if there really are many unfermentable sugars left, I'm not sure if I want to change the flavor profile by drying it up any.

My 12.96% Barleywine ended at 1.016. I am not sure 1.040 is all it can do. But...IIRC, wasn't yours like a 14.5% BW? I'll go back and look at the recipe.

I just looked at my beersmith, and though I'm not sure if it is factoring in the second and third yeasting, but it says that the FG range should be anywhere from 1.016-1.030, so as long as I get it in there I should be happy. But the guy that recommended the bizarre yeasting regimen said I might get as low as 1.010.

But 1.030 would put it at 14.96% ABV. 1.16 @ 16.55% and 1.010 @ 17.61.....my liver is hurting just thinking about it....but I'm not going to complain if I even got it to 1.030. That is still pretty insane. :fro:

We'll see.

Looks like you were expecting a little lower, although I am not sure you are talking about your final recipe. I couldn't find the actual recipe, its buried in here somewhere.

Maybe do a satellite fermentation? Try to get 1/2 gallon down farther with another yeast, maybe Amylase Enzyme, just to see if you like it better at a little lower gravity? :rockin:

Maybe do a satellite fermentation? Try to get 1/2 gallon down farther with another yeast, maybe Amylase Enzyme, just to see if you like it better at a little lower gravity? :rockin:

That may be worth a try. But maybe I'll pull 12 ounces and do it in a beer bottle. Maybe 1 with alpha and 1 with champagne yeast. I just don't want to lose all the great sweetness that it does have.

Thanks DK and wyzazz!!!! :mug:

That may be worth a try. But maybe I'll pull 12 ounces and do it in a beer bottle. Maybe 1 with alpha and 1 with champagne yeast. I just don't want to lose all the great sweetness that it does have.

Thanks DK and wyzazz!!!! :mug:

Good idea, drop 12oz in a bomber, put a little foil over the top and see what comes of it!

Good idea, drop 12oz in a bomber, put a little foil over the top and see what comes of it!

Do you guys think I should go with beeno or get some real AA from the homebrewshop? And how would I use either? The only time I ever tried beeno was my horrific experiment in the Grocery and Produce thread.

Do you guys think I should go with beeno or get some real AA from the homebrewshop? And how would I use either? The only time I ever tried beeno was my horrific experiment in the Grocery and Produce thread.

I'd go with the Amylase Enzyme from the HBS, you just drop it in the fermenter. You don't want to heat it up or you'll denature the enzymes. I've heard that Beano will dry things out too much. I've used the Amylase on a couple of extract batches that finished a bit too high for me, always seemed to do the trick!

I'd go with the Amylase Enzyme from the HBS, you just drop it in the fermenter. You don't want to heat it up or you'll denature the enzymes. I've heard that Beano will dry things out too much. I've used the Amylase on a couple of extract batches that finished a bit too high for me, always seemed to do the trick!

That's exactly what I was worried about with beeno.

I just added AE to my IIPA that was hovering at 1.030 for almost a week (OG was 1.090).

It definitely gets things going again, but I hope it doesn't go too far. Right now it is at 1.023 after 3 days, but still moving.

Sounds like you're already doing it, however proceed with caution.

hey revvy, have you tried the "small beer" out of the parti-gyle yet?

Oh yeah....I thought I mentioned it before. It is awsome. I'm trying not to drink them all myself, I want the 2 Ed's and Jay to get to taste one. And I sent one to a bjcp judge buddy for his imput.

It tastes to me like I accidently cloned Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is really strong and in your face hoppy. It's a damn fine beer.

Just want to second these thoughts...Beano is less predictable and more aggressive.

I might go with EC1118 before I resorted to creating more simple sugar with enzymes though, that yeast is a beast. (i rhyme for Xmas)

On another note, I always try to remember with my own beers...who really cares what the numbers say...if you like the beer, just leave it alone.

Could be interesting to add brett to it as well though. :mug:

Hey Revvy, best wishes to you and yours for the holidays and beyond--I also want to thank you for sharing your wit and knowledge and look forward to your posts for many years to come...one word of caution, however--if you keep sampling the barleywine, five years from now you are going to look around and say "Where the bleep is my bleeping beer?"

Just want to second these thoughts...Beano is less predictable and more aggressive.

I just used AE on my beer that was stuck at 1.030 (OG 1.090 - mashed too high). It brought the beer down to 1.020. Worked great for me; very happy with the results.

I just used AE on my beer that was stuck at 1.030 (OG 1.090 - fermented too high). It brought the beer down to 1.020. Worked great for me; very happy with the results.

Apart from the 1030 to 1020 gravity drop, what are the results you are happy for? I mean in terms of taste and/or flavour.

Cheers,
Piteko

Apart from the 1030 to 1020 gravity drop, what are the results you are happy for? I mean in terms of taste and/or flavour.

Cheers,
Piteko

Well, unfortunately this beer isn't completely done so I can't claim 100% success yet. However, the beer is now in secondary (for dry hopping) and tastes much better than it did when it was at 1.030. 1.030 for an Imperial IPA is WAY too thick IMO. To add to this, my recipe calls for landing at 1.020 since I do like thicker beers (Just not 1.030).

It's easy to tell how much better the beer will be now that I've dropped the SG. I've made this recipe twice before and I can already tell it's going to be better than the last two. I'm not claiming it has anything to do with the AE, I'm just saying that I think the AE helped me finish off this batch in a manner that was intended (Corrected one of my mistakes).

Not sure if it would aid in this situation or not.

Also, I am not suggesting that Revvy made a mistake. He never makes mistakes! As a matter of fact, Revvy should NOT do what I am suggesting just for the simple fact that he didn't already think of it! It can't be the right thing to do ;)

Edit: Also, I noticed that in my previous post I incorrectly stated that I fermented too high when I meant to say I 'Mashed' too high. That might have caused some confusion to my intentions.

Back