Wyeast Biere de Garde 3725PC - Biere de Garde and ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imtrashed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Wyeast Private Collection Biere de Garde yeast that I plan to use in (you guessed it) a Biere de Garde. But I would also like to try it on another style when fermentation on the BdG is complete.

Wyeast lists the possible styles for this yeast as: Saison, Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale. They have the profile as: Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.

What would you pitch the resulting yeast slurry into? The Biere de Garde recipe I plan to use has a OG of 1.064. Should I brew something else first and then pitch the slurry into the 1.064 BdG? Maybe throw this into a Saison also? The Summer Saison that I might try has a OG of 1.065. Should it really matter which brew the yeast ferments first? And I know that most recommend not reusing yeast from a batch with OG greater than 1.060, but at this close OG, should it matter?

Would love some input. Thanks!

It's really two separate issues you've got here:

First, what else would ferment nicely with a biere de garde yeast? Everything you mention sounds nice. I imagine a saison would be slightly less funky and slightly less dry than you would get with, say, Wyeast 3724, but still tasty. Blonde or pale ales would be pleasant. I hesitate for some reason to recommend it with a golden strong, but I'm not really sure why. I tend to think of bieres des gardes as a lot less ester-driven than golden strongs, but I'd be curious to try it this way.

Second, how should you pitch slurry? You don't mention what approach you plan to take, but pitching onto a yeast cake is not typically the best way to go. If you wash your yeast and/or rebuild a starter (and then use the appropriate amount), I imagine that this would work fine.

I just did what you were describing. I brewed a Biere de Garde 3725 over a week ago, 1052 og, and re used it for a dark saison og 1062. Im trying to clone Fantome Strange Ghost.
11lb Pilsner malt
1lb munich
1lb wheat
6oz aromatic
4oz special b
4oz caraffa III
5oz acidulated malt, im trying to get a little sour twang that fantome has although they probably get theirs from lacto.
halletauer throughout, 2 oz maybe
spices at 15min, corriander, paradise grain, very little of each
and again at 3 min plus black pepper
sugar and belgian candi at flameout.
first time brewing, its more of a muddy brown than a black that i wanted so add more caraffa next time.

This is one of my favorite beers, the dark color completely throws you off with subtle subtle roast, then you get sweetness, funk, and sour, and refreshing. Its a great beer, i think the hardest part will be replicating the juice that Fantome supposedly puts in all their beers.

I'm not at AG yet, but that looks interesting. Thanks for the reply. I just put my order in for Biere de Garde ingredients and for a Summer Saison kit that looks interesting.

Back