3 gal. extract full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericbene

Reaction score
I have a 5gal. recipe that I would like to down size to to 3 gal. and do a full boil in my 5 gal. pot. I have beersmith but I'm not sure how to convert this or if it can even be done.
Thanks

In this case everything is 3/5's of the original recipe.

Except the hops you'll need even less of those. (I'm guessing the extract recipe didn't call for a 5 gallon boil)

Look at the projected SG and IBU's then cut the grain down proportionally (drop the grain bill to 60%), then lower the hops additions equally until you get back to the same IBU's.

There is a scale button on one of the first rows on the beersmith screen, it is near the buttons to adjust recipes based on ibus, srms, and gravity...I think it might just say scale, but it could be a symbol...I'm not on a computer that has BS on it, so I can't say which..but it is there.

There is a scale button on one of the first rows on the beersmith screen, it is near the buttons to adjust recipes based on ibus, srms, and gravity...I think it might just say scale, but it could be a symbol...I'm not on a computer that has BS on it, so I can't say which..but it is there.

Beersmith is probably on the top of my beer equipment list that I can start working on again just as soon as the new year rolls around.

shot1.gif

See the row that begins "New Recipe?" After add to list, is the one you want, "scale" you can change the volume and it will shift the grain/hopbill to accomodate you.

Thanks!!!
Now do have to do anything to take in to account it will be a full boil?
Or do I just start with 3 gal. and top up after the boil?

Latest posts

Back