Um, what is this floating in my Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think?

• Rack It!

• Dump It!

Results are only viewable after voting.

NoisufnoC

Reaction score
I bought Northern Brewer's Kinderweisse Limited Edition kit. Primary went okay, my OG was a little low. I racked it into my secondary and this morning I was going to rack it into a keg when I noticed this.

IMG_6658.jpg

IMG_6657.jpg

I realize this is a sour beer, no boil, and it gets its sourness from bacteria, right? But are we talking about the difference between mold on blue cheese and mold on cheddar cheese? (My wife came up with that comparison :D)

What do you guys think?

Kinda looks like a dog to me. A tiny dog swimming in your secondary. Sorry not much help. I would get it into the keg as advised above.

Not sure that's such a good idea anymore. Maybe some folks that know sours better than me can come and chime in. If this recipe uses brett, then you're in for a long time in that secondary.

In my limited experience I would say that is not the start of a pellicle (for me they start more a thin film than a blob). I think it looks like mold.

haha.

so the million dollar question: Rack it or Dump it?

NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!

The only question here is rack it now or rack it later.

DO NOT DUMP IT!

If this is just the brett working, then you probably want to wait it out. If it's mold, rack from under it and keg as normal. This is NOT a dumper!

I realize this is a sour beer, no boil, and it gets its sourness from bacteria, right? But are we talking about the difference between mold on blue cheese and mold on cheddar cheese? (My wife came up with that comparison :D)

What do you guys think?

Actually those two molds are the same, especially if you put your blue cheese on the same plate or board and then store them away. The mold from the blue will carry over to the cheddar.

I'm really not sure what that is in your beer.

I've never seen anything like that in any of my sour beers. I'd rack from under it ASAP personally. Definitely don't toss it though.

That kinda looks like fish skin to me. Have you eaten seafood this week? You didn't get drunk and do something silly, did you?:drunk:

FG is 1022

Doesnt taste bad, the description on NB compared it to a lemonade like sourness. I do get some lemonade like taste. I supposed I'll rack it and see what it tastes like carbonated.

I say it's a frog with fetal alcohol syndrome...

tasteless joke. rack it, carb it, chill it, try it. If it sucks then, well, dump it.

2 guys in my club had a regular beer that soured on them. 2 years later, they won a gold at bluebonnet with it. like ChshreCat says (and i WILL NOT argue with him), keep it if you can

well, i'm embarrassed.

i can hear the "i told you so"'s now

IMG_6662.jpg

i didn't make time to rack it into the keg, checked it 10 mins ago and found that. :sigh:

I just kegged it. Worst case I dump it.

It didn't smell funky while racking, maybe it'll be okay

To me it looks like a frog swimming laps, definitely not pellicle. I had a layer of pellicle form on a wheat beer I bottled 2 weeks ago. The beer tasted fine and had an interesting lemon taste that wasn't bitter or sour. I put 2 bottles in the fridge yesterday and I'm going to drink them on Sunday.

pellicle2.jpg

Pellicle Floating On Wheat Beer

To me it looks like a frog swimming laps, definitely not pellicle. I had a layer of pellicle form on a wheat beer I bottled 2 weeks ago. The beer tasted fine and had an interesting lemon taste that wasn't bitter or sour. I put 2 bottles in the fridge yesterday and I'm going to drink them on Sunday.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D1BRubh0vhE/TLetResmAzI/AAAAAAAAAa8/FcFVqnfbkU4/s1600/pellicle2.jpg
Pellicle Floating On Wheat Beer

The first pic I don't know what is (I agree it looks like a frog), but the second pic looks exactly how every pellicle I've ever had has started.

Back