Stopping Cider Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve76

Reaction score
I just got my first batch of cider into the fermenter. I am planning to backsweeten, and my question is this. If I backsweeten with cider that has been treated with potassium sorbate, will that be enough to stop fermentation, or should I add more preservative before bottling?

stopping fermentations is never a good idea but I done so on my cider fermented with Notty by placing fermenter in a fridge for a couple of weeks prior to stabilizing.

When I made Skeeter Pee, I let it ferment to 0.996 then added 1/2 tsp Kmeta and 2 1/2 tsp sorbate. After two weeks, I backsweetened, confirmed the gravity was stable and subsequently bottled. The only problem I forsee is that your cider won't be carbonated.

You can cheat a little on the carbonation by adding UNDISSOLVED cut tablets.

Might be fun for the cider makers in the bunch to try putting Kmeta and/or sorbate into gel caps with a bit of sugar for filler and let the two race to see which wins -- yeast gobbling added sugar to carbonation or preservatives in gel caps engaging in mass yeast genocide.

Hmmm. Maybe I make cider this winter instead of more beer and wine ...

So if I let the cider ferment, then backsweeten with preserved cider before bottling, I will end up with a sweet, but not carbonated cider.
In order to have a sweet and carbonated cider, I could backsweeten with a non-fermentable sugar like splenda.
Am I understanding my options, our am I out to lunch here?
Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back