Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the one time I was able to get on, view printed material, watch the videos and attempt the quiz, this course appears to be superb.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to access the course since late Wednesday night. I have tried on iPad- iOS 7, Chrome, Safari; PC - Internet Explorer. I just tried to access tech service, but, to no avail!

Edit: just downloaded The app. Managed to get on. Even watch the videos. The quiz, good, except the ordering one. Useless. This is very disappointing. Only one choice comes up.

image.jpg

I have also had trouble getting on the site for the last few days. I'll keep trying though

Could y'all share your method, please? I'm on an iPad using Chrome and it just is not happening.

I'm having a heck of a time getting on the site, too. Bandwidth problems?

I'm using my windows8 laptop with the latest IE installed with no issues. I'm also logging in during morning hours 7-9am Eastern Standard Time

Got a portable app of chrome and it's letting me on the site from my work laptop but I'm trying to take the quiz before work and it's not available. Anyone else get into it?

Quiz should be up on Wednesday. Sorry for the date change. Will have until Friday 11:59 CST.

Also, twitter question(s) of the day is back on.

Thanks for all the peer to peer interactions, lots of learning going on

For anyone taking the test, be forwarned that it's f*cked up, You give the right answers and they come back wrong, even on the test quiz where you call a brew kettle a "copper" comes back wrong if you answer "copper".... ??..........

For anyone taking the test, be forwarned that it's f*cked up, You give the right answers and they come back wrong, even on the test quiz where you call a brew kettle a "copper" comes back wrong if you answer "copper".... ??..........

yeah i just found this out...all kinds of screwed up answers that were marked wrong incorrectly...

yeah i just found this out...all kinds of screwed up answers that were marked wrong incorrectly...

I think out of the 12 or 13 questions, the test gave me 6 right, and 5 that should have been right I got wrong. And 2 Chemistry questions were wrong, or maybe not ?? The whole thing is screwed.

I took the test quiz without any problems

signed up. if only they had chemistry courses like this when I was in school. would have been a little more enjoyable that statistical thermodynamics or quantum.

There are definitely 3-4 improperly keyed answers...

There are also a couple of questions outside the scope of what's covered in the videos. That's not particularly uncommon in a course that has a book to go along with lecture, but it's a little frustrating here.

In the end, though, I'm taking this for enlightenment, not college credit, so my quiz grade doesn't really matter beyond a pride point...

They announced they are working on fixing several errors on the quiz that opened yesterday. Asked us to wait to take the quiz until they have resolved the issues.

yeah one of the questions I got wrong was what chemical process is occuring during the mashing process. I said enzymes breaking down polysachharides. They switched it from malting to mashing but the answer to the malting question was the activation of enzymes.
Also another one was which of the following is a monosaccharide- glucose, sucrose, and maltose. I said glucose. So something is a little wrong, but i guesss it doesn't matter it doesn't really effect your GPA.

entertaining so far. introduce basic concepts of organic and biochemistry and didn't get anything wrong that I've seen so far and yet keep it simple enough for novices.

There are definitely 3-4 improperly keyed answers...

There are also a couple of questions outside the scope of what's covered in the videos. That's not particularly uncommon in a course that has a book to go along with lecture, but it's a little frustrating here.

In the end, though, I'm taking this for enlightenment, not college credit, so my quiz grade doesn't really matter beyond a pride point...

The course content isn't just the videos. There's also links below the video display that take you to sections that go into greater detail on each section covered in the videos. That's where the questions you don't recognize are coming from.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Home Brew mobile app

I apologize for the quiz errors. Will post when it is fixed.

nice job on the course Mark. this should be brewing 101 for anyone getting into homebrewing, assuming they've had at least basic science. If I ever retire as a medicinal chemist and become a professor, I could see this being a nice chapter to cover in either end of chemistry 101 course or as an interesting lecture in org chem.

The course content isn't just the videos. There's also links below the video display that take you to sections that go into greater detail on each section covered in the videos. That's where the questions you don't recognize are coming from.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Home Brew mobile app

Sadly, I realized that shortly after my post, but was hoping nobody noticed me chewing on my foot, lol.

BTW: If you haven't watched the "learning on Janux" videos that were linked in one of the emails, they're worth the time, IMO. (that's where I made the realization that there was other course content /facepalm)

the quiz has been fixed. got 12/12. good thing. probably get my degrees revoked if I missed any of those. had to read the last question a few times to figure it out.

[EDIT] i think only the practice quiz is correct, so you all might want to wait until Mark fixes it.

Yup, I should've looked here first. I just took the quiz.

It showed that it marked a bunch of my answers wrong, but then it said I got a 10/12 on the quiz. So, maybe the actual scoring has been corrected, but just the feedback it shows me is still messed up?

By my count, it shows me that I only got 6 right, but the score on the 'grades & performance' page says I got 10. So, basically, I got the easy answers right and did at least a half-assed job on the actual chemistry stuff. I'm happy with that. I would like to know which ones I actually got wrong, though.

All,

Again, I apologize for the errors in the quiz. It took us a while to get it corrected. There were sufficient students that had finished the quiz that we choice to re-boot the quiz. If you took the quiz before 9:40 pm CST (Norman, OK), then you should retake the quiz. The errors in the key as well as one incorrect question have been fixed.

The social features should now be disabled in the quiz. The plan is to turn this back on after the due date so that you can discuss the questions within your groups. Assessment is an important part of the learning process. In an open course, it is not about the grade, but how much you learn. We will re-open the discussions and enable you to see the key after the due date.

I apologize for the error and will be much more diligent to review the materials before they are released. I know that today's quiz experience was frustrating. I appreciate your patience and want to thank NextThought for working quickly to correct the errors and improve the system.

If you have any questions please let me know.

I just learned about this course and I am very interested. Is it too late to sign up? I have degrees in biochemistry and molecular biology

It's not letting me submit my quiz at all... Still working on fixing it? I guess I should just write down my answers and try again tomorrow?

It's not letting me submit my quiz at all... Still working on fixing it? I guess I should just write down my answers and try again tomorrow?

If you have not logged out and back in, then try that. Several students were having this issue, but seemed to work was the re-entered.

It's been a great and informative class so far. There still seems to be a few glitches with the quizzes. Hopefully these glitches will be fixed shortly.

got through the first test with no problems with the system at all!! now i gotta my chemestry on track (i missed a few questions) but all in all i'm very pleased with my results, since i haven't had chem or been in school for 27 years.
thank you Dr. Morvant i think this a great course.

I have to say this class is absolutely awesome so far, I just wish I knew some simple chemistry! The only answers I'm getting wrong are chemistry questions.

Has the quiz been updated? I am seriously wondering about some of my wrong answers. Denaturation? Pretty sure I am right on that one. (In fact I just heard the GF got marked right for part I got marked wrong for.)

Also, I read everything provided and the videos and still cannot find the right answers in the materials. There are two that really stand out.

Just finished the quiz. Got two wrong. Checked in my biochemistry book, and both my answers should be correct. The book happens to be 22 years old, but I don't think biochemistry has changed in that time period.

Back