Wort Chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So I went to the local plumbing supply to check out supplies for an immersion chiller. If I were to go with the standard 3/8" I could build a chiller with about 50 feet for the same price as a 25' pre made. Or I could build a 1/2" chiller with around 30 feet for right around the same price. Is half inch overkill? I will be doing full extract boils in a 11 gallon SS pot.

So my question, which would chill quicker? 50' of 3/8" or 30 feet of 1/2"?

Thanks

Dan

Honestly I think it's a wash. Keep this in mind. 3/8" won't hold its shape as well as 1/2". However, the 1/2" is a little harder to bend. This is only a problem at the spot where you go up and over the kettle. Just out of curiousity, what are the prices you're finding? I'll sell you 40' of 1/2 for $50 + shipping (which would be close to the your sales tax probably if you buy locally).

Bobby_M said:
Honestly I think it's a wash. Keep this in mind. 3/8" won't hold its shape as well as 1/2". However, the 1/2" is a little harder to bend. This is only a problem at the spot where you go up and over the kettle. Just out of curiousity, what are the prices you're finding? I'll sell you 40' of 1/2 for $50 + shipping (which would be close to the your sales tax probably if you buy locally).

The 1/2" was 2.03 per foot and the 3/" was 1.33 per foot. No sales tax in Oregon, but your price still beats anything I would find here. How would you suggest bending the pipe at the top? I have access to a pipe bender at my work. I'm also wondering what the best way to bend the coils is. Maybe find a round object I can wrap it around?

Dan

Can any one work out the math for surface area for the two?

There's two many variables for me to get my brain round at this time of night after a few :mug:s

orfy said:

There's two many variables for me to get my brain round at this time of night after a few :mug:s

It's not that big of a deal really, I was just curious to know peoples thoughts on the 3/8 vs. 1/2".

I figured more water and more surface area would be better but I'm new so I figured I'd drop the question here.

Dan

orfy said:

The surface area of 1/2" tubing at 30' equals 565.48 square inches

The surface area of 3/8" tubing at 50' equals 706.85 square inches

Essentially we're talking about a 20% difference in surface area, which under real world conditions would not directly translate into a 20% more efficient cooling rate.

Conclusion: Build whatever would cost less.

erbiumyag said:
The surface area of 1/2" tubing at 30' equals 565.48 square inches

The surface area of 3/8" tubing at 50' equals 706.85 square inches

Essentially we're talking about a 20% difference in surface area, which under real world conditions would not directly translate into a 20% more efficient cooling rate.

Conclusion: Build whatever would cost less.

Nice Math. Next we need the volume of water in each.:D

I told you I was tired...I know the difference between two and too.
:eek:

I get .59 cubic inches on the 3/8" PER foot and 1.32 cubic inches per foot on the 1/2" OD (i'm assuming it's 3/8" ID).

So 50' of 3/8" would hold 29.5 cubic inches (1/8 gallon) and 30' of 1/2 would hold 39 cubic inches.

I'd say the cooling would be similar but having a more rigid coil is the real benefit of the 1/2". I like making my chillers around a corny keg. It puts the outside diameter at about 11".

Let me know if you want to buy my 40' of 1/2.

This is the best bending I was able to do on previous chillers (without using a bender at that top 90 degree bend:

halfinchchiller.jpg

This is only a 25 foot long chiller by the way.

i did 50 foot of 5/8" with hard capper risers and hose connects. fits nicely in an 80 qt kettle and does it's job quit well.

Latest posts

Back