50' 1/2" SS Immersion Chiller $40 - would you do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to self-report myself for being off topic here. If there is any justice at all, all of my posts above will be deleted.

That out of the way, yea I think we should write a book. I have been a writer in the past (recreational). Each author gets 10 pages or less. Chat about brewing and life etc. We have some interesting people on this forum, I wonder where that would go.

I'll be I could get Charlie Papazian to write the forward (I have his number haha).

I'd like to self-report myself for being off topic here. If there is any justice at all, all of my posts above will be deleted.

That out of the way, yea I think we should write a book. I have been a writer in the past (recreational). Each author gets 10 pages or less. Chat about brewing and life etc. We have some interesting people on this forum, I wonder where that would go.

I'll be I could get Charlie Papazian to write the forward (I have his number haha).
Hell man, I love the comments!

My laments wouldn't amount to much, I'm afraid. Not exactly a page-burning saga. 😁

I found running the ice water slowly through the (plate) chiller in a single pass works better than recirculating it. Returning it to the reservoir will cause the chilling water to warm up, which is counterproductive, as colder water is needed to nibble off the last 10-20 degrees.

I monitor the temps on both the wort and chilling water outputs, and regulate the flow of each for an optimal balance.

Although I haven't measured the exact volume used, around 6 gallons of ice water (32F) chills 6 gallons of wort from 110F to 70F when its used in a single pass.
It's the run down to 46F that is the killer!

Ever read hemmingway? It's the small details of everyday life that can be interesting.
Yep. I was kidding, for the most part. We've all got stories to tell. Outside of his need to prove his masculinity, the man had the courage to strip away as much as possible to get at the thing itself. That's trust. For years I was a huge fan of John Fowles, read literally every word he wrote, including his journals starting in late adolescence. Can't for the life of me recall the exact line, but his writing about his reverence for the white on the page - the holes we fill in the reading. Afraid I don't have that gift. At least not without a very, very strict editor.

If you have spare freezer space, I have a 20qt rubbermade that I keep frozen. Lots of wort chilling, and doibles as a refeigerator cooler during power outages.
You mean you keep something like an IC pre-chiller frozen in the block of ice?

You mean you keep something like an IC pre-chiller frozen in the block of ice?
No, I top it off with water and drop a submersible pump in, with IC in the kettle. I just keep the water frozen in a giant block.

I considered trying to freeze an IC in it but the ice might crush it (?), and I suspect it wouldn't work that well with no currents once the ice around it melts.

Back