My inlaws think I'm a drunk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonkey

Reaction score
So my inlaws were at my house this weekend (again). I didn't drink all weekend until they left, but SWMBO said she thinks that they think we're a couple of alcoholics. I guess I shouldn't have shown my FIL my new brewery.

I think the problem is that they're evangelical christians. My parents are Roman Catholic, so I was raised in a drinking household. SWMBO was quite scandalized when the priest got drunk and danced at my sister's wedding. And when my maternal grandfather passed away my cousins and I all went to the bar and got ripped up. Then, when my grandmother on my dad's side died all the neighbors, relatives, and family friends gathered at my parent's house and got drunk.

She drinks, but kind of tries to hide it from her family. I don't really see the problem with boozing as long as you don't let it control your life (Jesus drank in the bible, after all) so I don't understand why if it was ok then it's wrong now.

I don't get it either. I'm Irish Catholic, thrown in with good German stock combined with a nice healthy dose of Cherokee....

Plain and simple, we like to drink. :rockin: My parents and I have the best conversations half in the bag.

However.

My MIL (also Catholic) was going to be a Nun fer pity's sake, but she didn't because she ended up meeting my wife's Dad, and that was that.

But she hardly EVER drinks. She has a twin brother tho who I LOVE to drink with whenever we get together. Needless to say, the MIL frowns, but tolerates the whole thing...

That being said, SWMBO doesn't drink much either. Her Sister and I however have gotten polluted on more occasions than I can count...

Maybe I married the wrong sister... :drunk:

In the end, (and winding around to be back on topic) it's simply your house.
Dowhatchalike. :rockin:

Ize

My inlaws also think I'm a drunk. Some of my colleagues think I'm a drunk. Just because I drink more than the average bear and make my own beer doesn't mean I'm a drunk.

I drink probably 1-2 beers/night (average). Some more, some less, and I may go a week or two with nothing. Just because you aren't the type that only drinks on New Years and St. Patty's day doesn't mean you are a drunk.

I'm to the point of not caring anymore. When they come over, I perpetuate the myth by purposely cracking open a beer and putting on a tank top undershirt and yelling at my wife to make me some meat loaf.

Biermann said:
I'm to the point of not caring anymore. When they come over, I perpetuate the myth by purposely cracking open a beer and putting on a tank top undershirt and yelling at my wife to make me some meat loaf.

Ya drunkard, yell for a steak AND a refill! :D :rockin:

(FWIW mine gives me the one finger salute at this, but it's still funny as hell.)

Ize

I keep telling people that I come from strong German peasant stock with a splash of Irish thrown in.

I claim I actually have to drink to keep my liver functioning (its genetic). ;) :drunk:

Meh. My mom used to worry about how much my father and I drank. When I was staying there, at one point, my mom was talking to an aunt and my mom described how embarrassed she felt about the number of liquor bottles in her garbage can box and she asked my aunt, "Don't you think that's a LOT of alcohol for two people (my father and I) to consume?"

And my aunt agreed that, indeed, that the number of bottles of alcohol my father and I consumed was a little bit excessive for a week's consumption. But mom was talking about a MONTH'S consumption. And dad says she hasn't really said much about it since then.

Besides, she complained there were "too many" liquor bottles. So dad and I put our heads together and realized the answer was to begin buying bigger bottles. 1.75L bottles of Jack for him. And I'd pick up a few bombers for me. Yup. There was a time, when I was in college and thereafter, when dad actually felt ashamed about having a drink or two. I finally got him to see the light. Now it's a drink or two each night for him. It makes life a little bit nicer and your sleep a little more steady. What the hell....

My mom's grandfather, of whom I have only a few childhood memories, always used to say (so I am told).... The secret to living a good and satisfying life is to make certain you don't drink too much. And also... to make certain you don't drink too little. And when pressed for specifics, Grampa Joe would tell you: One drink a day is too little. And four is maybe getting close to being too much.

alemonkey said:
So my inlaws were at my house this weekend (again). I didn't drink all weekend until they left, but SWMBO said she thinks that they think we're a couple of alcoholics. I guess I shouldn't have shown my FIL my new brewery.

You could always tell them that if they weren't around so much they wouldn't notice it as much . . . but then again I'm not really know for my tact

Lutheran here, a little Irish, English and Blackfeet Indian for me.... My ex-girlfriend's family is a big Southern Baptist bunch, and none of them realized that all of my Guinness shirts referred to an alcoholic beverage until I wore a shirt with a pint on it and GUINNESS in big bold letters. They were further ashamed because I was *gasp* underage.

Going back to alemonkey's original situation, I say this: There is a difference between quality and quantity. There's nothing wrong with having a pasttime that allows you to make something special. It all just goes back to the craftsman's philosophy- the absolute best of anything is made by your own two hands.

Heck, nobody in my family was really thrilled with me getting into brewing... but when they heard me talk about it, and they saw that I was passionate about it, who are they to argue? It's no less an art than glass blowing or painting.

You can devote your life to building a house out of glass and people will say that is a ridiculous thing. You can also brew all the beer your liver can handle and people will say the same.

It's not about the way you express yourself, it's about what you say when you do...

Guess I'm lucky there. My folks think I'm a drunk, but my inlaws think I'm a lightweight. They DRINK. They're farmers, so that's pretty much all there is to do in the winter. They have a still in their attic that me and the BIL's talk about setting up one day. It's a different mindset about drinking out there. No one's afraid to drive drunk since you're more likely to end up in a cornfield than in an accident.

Full blooded Irish descent here. I tell everyonne that I have to drink to keep my system balanced. I'm lucky though, my MIL is a heavy hitter and my FIL likes the brews I make. I've already put in my will that I am to be cremated in the cheapest possible box (did you know that it was legal to have a cardboard box as a casket? The funeral directors don't discuss that because, how would they charge $5,000 for a cardboard box?) and the money saved is to be used to throw the greatest piss up there was to celebrate the life and not mourn the death.

I think you're an alcoholic too. :D

Lots of churches won't even give real wine at communion, preferring instead to serve grape juice, which seems strange, as grape juice probably wouldn't have been juice for very long in Jesus' day. Not trying to insult anyone here, so please don't take that the wrong way.

But I digress. If homebrewing makes me an alcoholic, then I'd like to be the first to say, "Hi, my name's Tom, and I'm an alcoholic." :drunk:

orfy said:
Any one who wants to pass judgment on such things should know they are not welcome and stay away.

I kind of envy his situation, though: more homebrew for him! My family loves beer and my grandfather especially loads up on my stuff whenever he comes.

ayrton said:

Lots of churches won't even give real wine at communion, preferring instead to serve grape juice, which seems strange, as grape juice probably wouldn't have been juice for very long in Jesus' day. Not trying to insult anyone here, so please don't take that the wrong way.

But I digress. If homebrewing makes me an alcoholic, then I'd like to be the first to say, "Hi, my name's Tom, and I'm an alcoholic." :drunk:

From what I've heard, the word "Wine" in Aramaic (??) is the same word used to describe and grape product, from juice to raisins or jellies. It might not be aramaic, but whatever the original language of the bible was prior to being translated to greek, latin or english.

they're evangelical christians

And you're having fun, and that's just wrong!

If they aren't bright enough to find the exit, show it to them. I cut loose of my family years ago.

Cheesefood said:
From what I've heard, the word "Wine" in Aramaic (??) is the same word used to describe and grape product, from juice to raisins or jellies. It might not be aramaic, but whatever the original language of the bible was prior to being translated to greek, latin or english.

Right, but it's unlikely that grape juice would have managed to stay grape juice for very long.

Besides, Ben Franklin once said, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." And he invented the lightning rod, so he must be right.

My dad and step mother were BIGTIME anti-drinking, anti-dancing, anti-rock and roll when I wa growing up. Thankfully, they've loosened up over the years. They actually think it's cool that I brew my own beer.

rdwj said:
My dad and step mother were BIGTIME anti-drinking, anti-dancing, anti-rock and roll when I wa growing up. Thankfully, they've loosened up over the years. They actually think it's cool that I brew my own beer.

footloose.jpg

My grandparents are complete teatotalers (?sp), and when they came over to our house for Christmas, everyone was drinking my latest brews, and were having a jolly time.

My grandmother told me I was getting a beer gut and that I drank too much. I went and got a refill after that. My waist size hasn't changed in 4 years. She just thought to take the time and throw in an anti-alcohol comment.

Why is it religion has to F^ck everything up in this world that is good!

Peace? Forget that with the radicals in the middle east.

Drinking? forget it, you will go to hell

Premarital sex? I ask you, would you buy a car before test driving it?

DeadYetiBrew said:
Lutheran here, a little Irish, English and Blackfeet Indian for me.... My ex-girlfriend's family is a big Southern Baptist bunch, and none of them realized that all of my Guinness shirts referred to an alcoholic beverage until I wore a shirt with a pint on it and GUINNESS in big bold letters. They were further ashamed because I was *gasp* underage.

What's the difference between a Baptist and a Methodist?

A Methodist will speak to you in the liquor store. While the baptist tries to keep you from seeing him.

alemonkey said:

I think the problem is that they're evangelical christians. My parents are Roman Catholic, so I was raised in a drinking household. SWMBO was quite scandalized when the priest got drunk and danced at my sister's wedding. And when my maternal grandfather passed away my cousins and I all went to the bar and got ripped up. Then, when my grandmother on my dad's side died all the neighbors, relatives, and family friends gathered at my parent's house and got drunk.

She drinks, but kind of tries to hide it from her family. I don't really see the problem with boozing as long as you don't let it control your life (Jesus drank in the bible, after all) so I don't understand why if it was ok then it's wrong now.
Just because a priest has a church full of bibles ain't no guarantee he's going to heaven...

It may be hard to not bring up that aspect of the conversation due to the fact that that was a big reason leading his inlaws to the idea that he is an alcholic, or atleast why he thinks they think he is one.

ayrton said:

:
That reminds me of a story...My neighbor and his brother were both altar boys. One time, his brother was stealing a case of wine. As he was walking in front of the altar, with the wine on his shoulder, he stopped and genuflected and then walked out with the wine. I just thought it was hilarious that you would actually do that as you were stealing wine from the church.

Hopfan said:
That reminds me of a story...My neighbor and his brother were both altar boys. One time, his brother was stealing a case of wine. As he was walking in front of the altar, with the wine on his shoulder, he stopped and genuflected and then walked out with the wine. I just thought it was hilarious that you would actually do that as you were stealing wine from the church.

When I was an alter boy, we used to eat the unconsecrated hosts by the handful. We used to call them "Eucharistic Snack Crackers". We would then wash them down with a swig of wine.

There ain't nothing worse than getting too much blood in your alcohol stream.

Or, as someone more famous than me once said "I drink to get drunk, that's what it's for".

Man-joke warning!!! If you are offended or an EAC or both then don't highlight this post!!!

What is the proper way to open a bottle of beer?

There isn't one. It should be open when she brings it to you!
;)

Thet them think your an alchy! Hoowah!

nkonkie said:
What's the difference between a Baptist and a Methodist?

A Methodist will speak to you in the liquor store. While the baptist tries to keep you from seeing him.

I've heard a similar one:

Protestants don't recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian church.
Jews don't recognize Jesus as the messiah.
Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store or at Hooters.

Again, PLEASE don't take offense to this. I didn't come up with the joke (although I did laugh at it).

homebrewer_99 said:
The only things that have offended me on this forum have come from Cheese...:D

(Just kidding...I'm not easy to offend. I think all subjects should be open for debate :D ).

I think the people that are easilly offended have head for the hills!

Like that EAC Moshiach dude...whatever happened to him?

:ban:

Back