Varying bottle sizes within same batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loweface

Reaction score
Hi I hope this will be both a discussion and a help me choose thread...

When you bottle a batch of beer/mead/cider/wine.... do you bottle in all the same bottle type/sizes or do you vary it up a little?

Example: I have a 1 gallon (imperial ~5L) batch of a peach wine ready to be bottled. I plan to bottle 1 or 2 in wine bottles, and the rest in 330ml (~12oz) bottles. Some I will prime for carbonation.

For those of you who keg but bottle "a sixer", do you mix up the sizes or just use the same?

The other items I have due bottleing are:
1 gal Mixed Berry Cider
1 gal Lemon/Lime -ade
1 gal Garlic Chillie Wine

Options and Opinions?
(I hope this discussion won't be limited to what I have to bottle)

I always vary my bottle sizes. Usually when I have a whole batch, I split it up between a case of 12's and a case (12 btls) or miscellaneous large-format bottles. I have 22's, 16.5's, 750mL's, 1L growlers, etc.

I have 12 oz and 16 oz bottles. I usually bottle up a mix of both.

Last night I kegged 5 gallons and bottled a case of 12 oz and 30 16 oz. All of the same beer.

Nice to have a variety.

I have a bunch on misc bottles but my friends dad works at a restaurant or something where they serve lots of Heineken bottles so every few weeks if I want I get a garbage can full of bottles. Heineken bottles arent the greatest but if stored in a dark place they work well for the bulk of a batch.

I make sure to use a few bottles that are just plain 12oz for club competitions or brew comps but the rest get a mix of 12, 16, & 22 oz bottles.

I usually use 12oz and 24oz brown bottles for beer. I mix it up cause using some 24s makes bottle day much faster. I bottle over 120 beers at a time so getting it done fast is nice..;)

I use wine bottles for meads.

One reason some folks might use the same size bottles is that they might store easier (all fit in the same kind of box).

Also, if you are capping with a non-automatic bench capper it is easier to cap bottles that are the same height.

I use a mix depending on what style of beer I'm bottling. 12 oz regular longneck, sierra nevada short 12 & 24 oz, Grolsch brown flip top and some misc bottles. I use a couple 24 oz to speed up bottling and at least a 6 pack of longnecks for traveling or gifts since they are easily replaced.

Back