First Decoction in Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp1365

Reaction score
Just thought that I would share my first attempt at a decoction mash with the masses. I am doing a RoggenBock. So join me in my either success or utter failure. I'll try to update at each step.

Set Up:
HPIM0614.JPG

Grains:
HPIM0615.JPG

Dough In for Acid Rest:
HPIM0616.JPG

Starting First Decoction:
HPIM0617.JPG

Right now I just finished resting my decoction at 159* for 20 minutes and I am now bringing it up to a boil.

Enjoy.

Here is my other thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/cant-get-conversion-time-give-up-160268/

The total day took around 12 hours. My first decoction went flawlessly. Pulled the decoction, held it at 159* for 20 minutes, and then boiled for another 20. Added it back and undershot my target temp by only 1*. It was at the second decoction that all hell broke loose. The decoction part went fine, but upon adding it in I was 10* short, so I decocted again and was still short, and again, and again. I finally got it up to 150* and held it there. I also kept getting false negative conversion tests. By the time I finally started the lauter process it was 10 hours after I started. This was also the first time that I had a stuck sparge.

Finally filled the kettle, boiled, cooled, transferred and pitched my yeast. 63% efficiency. Now I begin the waiting to see signs of fermentation.

All in all, it was long, frustrating, and a quite possibly the worst brewday I have ever had, but I look forward to trying again.

Update on this. Fermentation has started in less that 24 hours and it is going crazy. Started seeing bubbles on the top of the beer around 4pm and now I have at least an inch of krausen on top. Might be one of the most vigorous fermentations I have had.

Latest posts

Back