Am I ready to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertandrews

Reaction score
I made this pumpkin ale http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...-pumpkin-beer-recipe-extract-homebrewing.html

Recipe advises two week fermentation, then sugar in bottling. It has been fermenting now for almost two weeks (two days to go) but I am still getting air gurgling through water in the airlock. Far less gurgling than in the first few days, only occasional now.

Does this suggest I should not bottle yet?

I noticed the recipe said to ferment for "at least 14 days". I would advise against bottling right now and wait it out. Most my beers sit in primary for a month and then go straight to the bottle. The best way to tell is to take hydrometer readings and when the reading stays the same for at least three days then your good to bottle. Don't rush your beer and it will turn out just fine.

Happy Hombrewing

Do you have a hydrometer? If so, start measuring your gravity. Once you get consistent readings over 3 days time, you're good to go.

If you don't have a hydrometer:
1) Add a hydrometer and test jar to your shopping list for your next LHBS trip!
2) Wait until that beer's been fermenting at least 3 weeks before you even think about bottling.

I noticed the recipe said to ferment for "at least 14 days". I would advise against bottling right now and wait it out. Most my beers sit in primary for a month and then go straight to the bottle. The best way to tell is to take hydrometer readings and when the reading stays the same for at least three days then your good to bottle. Don't rush your beer and it will turn out just fine.

Happy Hombrewing

On the mark:rockin:

All my beers sit in primary for at least 3-4 weeks and a little longer is OK too!

3-4 weeks primary, 3-4 weeks in the bottle, 24-48 hours in the fridge before drinking and all is right with the world, that is my motto, well for most beers anyway!

Big beers and some darker beers benefit with more conditioning time mostly!

Be patient and you will be rewarded!

Back