band aid flavor heads up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckerzero

Reaction score
i just brewed a batch of beer that went bad (band aid flavor
just as well because the gravity was only 1.020 not a good extraction(not enough sparge water will fix that next time)
plus im wondering can you use 100%wheat or do you have to use some barley
for the amylase enzyme or does malted wheat have enough in it?
any way i used a different yeast this time mutons (yellow pack)
i think the pink pack i get from the other company is better
and my gut says its the yeast that caused the bandaid flavor
every thing else in my procediure was the same
what say you???

A band-aid flavor is usually associated with chlorine or cholorphenols, either from the brewing water or from using bleach as a sanitizer.

Most beers that use wheat do not use 100% wheat, it is usually mashed with barley. Was this an extract brew or all grain? Most wheat extract is actually part wheat and part barley.

all grain
i read the band aid flavor can be wild yeast
and i used a different yeast
i used the same sanatizer easy clean
and same water local tap
and my other two batches did not have this problem at all

Just anecdotal....but I remember I've used those Mutons yeast packs for doing stouts. They all turned out just dandy. What is your normal procedure for pitching dry yeast? I'm actually starting to really dig dry yeast now....first started dry, then tried liquid, and now I like dry because I can get it from the internet, and then I can make a quick starter with the dry yeast. I like microwaving some water in a Pyrex measuring cup to bring to boil. Then I'll add DME and cover with tin foil and cool in the fridge. Usually the temp gets cool enough in an hour...I'll then pour the dry yeast in and stir with a sanitized spoon. Then I'll recover and let sit while I go brew. My brewing sessions take longer with all grain, but I've noticed that I do get a pretty good cell count by the time I'm completely done with brewing and can pitch this yeast.

Back