Alternatives to Newcastle Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenners

Reaction score
My wife's looking to get some beer for a friend as a gift. He's a /big/ Newcastle Brown Ale fan, rather than a craft beer fan per se, and she wants to open up his taste buds a little.

Any suggestions on a good US craft brew for a Nookie Broon fan? I'm in TX, so keep that in mind for distribution of cool northern brews...

if you want something that is not that hard to locate, Sierra Nevada and Flying Dog make porters. they are NOT top notch beers, but they are probably a step above New Castle.

We just tried the Sierra Nevada Tumbler recently. It's a brown ale,with a spicy citrus hop flavor. Amarillo maybe? Good light toasty kind of flavor to the malt. He might just like it. Interesting that it's got a date printed on the neck wrap.

I think it's the best brown ale I've tried so far. The hop flavor is good,but not outshining the malt. Pretty darn good.

512 pecan porter, or Real Ale brown ale would be similar and local.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

Any suggestions on a good US craft brew for a Nookie Broon fan? I'm in TX, so keep that in mind for distribution of cool northern brews...

This won't work if you're deadset on the american craft beer condition, but samuel smith makes a nice nut brown ale.

discnjh said:
This won't work if you're deadset on the american craft beer condition, but samuel smith makes a nice nut brown ale.

From the suggestions, this seems most appropriate. New castle has nearly no hop character and comes across light, but malty. I'm not a hop head and new castle was one of the early beers I liked a lot.I'd make sure to stay low on the IBUs for your friend. An American version of a scotch or English brown may do. Old Chub maybe (although this bring some new other aspects, but maybe theyd be appreciated)

I'm not tied to a US Craft, just thought it might be a nice mix - brown ale/craft.

I'll see what Specs has in stock from Samuel Smith, they've usually got a good-ish selection.

I'm not tied to a US Craft, just thought it might be a nice mix - brown ale/craft.

I'll see what Specs has in stock from Samuel Smith, they've usually got a good-ish selection.

Also... Someone earlier mentioned abita turbodog... as much as I love turbodog, i might be more inclined towards Abita Pecan for a newcastle fan. Its one of their seasonal beers, and I think should still be out right now.

samuel smith nut brown is a great suggestion stated earlier in thread, and if you can find it tilburg, it's a dutch brown, very smooth

tilburg.jpg

If you have a distributor down there "old Brown Dog" from Smuttynose is a great beer. I've converted a couple non craft drinkers with this beer. Beyond that the tumbler is a great suggestion

You could go with the shiner seasonal..... Since you are in Texas and all..... I saw in a store here in OH they already have there holiday brew on the shelves.... It is inexspensive and brewed with peaches and pecans!

Back