Safale S-33 Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FWIW, I've been brewing for 16 years and mostly relied on liquid cultures. I live in a place that's really remote and gets wicked hot in the summer so shipping liquid cultures won't work. Really playing around with the dry yeast just to see if they are viable options. I'm surprised there are so many nay sayers regarding the S-33, but for me, I think this beer will be very good and so far, I would not hesitate to use it again. It would probably also work real well in a Golden Strong.

Yeah, I think the naysayers are probably under-pitching if they have problems. Just because a yeast mfgr says its good for high gravity doesn't mean you can under pitch (unless that's your plan). I say that because pretty much wherever I looked internet wise people who under pitch on big beers think their ferment is stuck (1.025) and that this yeast sucks. When it's not understood how to use this yeast.

I did a the 1.075 beer with two packs and it cranked down to 1.010. It tastes good and now its aging on oak wood chips. Time to rack it off the chips and keg/bottle.

Latest posts

Back