Mold in my freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GK@BCB

Reaction score
I recently got a chest freezer and installed a Johnson Controls digital thermostat to be able to brew some lagers. I'm also storing kegs here as well.

I just noticed when pulling one of the kegs out there is some mold growing on the exterior. Considering this is a dark, damp, cool environment I would assume this is to be expected. Do I need to be concerned about this? What can I do to remedy?

Thanks.

Wash your freezer down with bleach, bleach kills mould and prevents(for a little while) it from returning, and dry it well. Mold can grow in temps. as low as minus 7C.

Your basement likely needs a dehumidifier...if that is not in the budget, or not your desire. I would simply fill a spray bottle w/ about a 5% bleach solution. See mold spray, mold, no rinse required at low bleach concentration. This also works real well to keep shower stalls bright and clean w/ minimal effort.

Back