Lagering help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaverplt

Reaction score
Hi, I brewed a pilsner on new years day. (Best way to start a new year, Beer and Football). I decided that with a 50 degree cellar room and a 35-40 degree garage, I would try lagering. I'm hoping for some confirmation that things are going ok. It's been 17 days since brewing and my SG is at 1.02. I have to guess that the opening SG was around 1.05 where it should be. For some stupid reason I forgot to take an initial reading. I pitched the yeast at about 60 degrees and put the carboy in the cellar at 50 degrees. There wasn't as aggressive a ferment as I've had using ale yeast but it seemed to last for days. Is that due to the lower temp?
I've read in another forum that many people use 2 smack packs of yeast. Should I consider adding another one?

Thanks for any input.

Jerry "Beaver" Pelt

"Some say the glass is half empty. Some say it's half full. I just want to know who the hell is drinking my beer."

Lager yeast does indeed take longer to do its thing than ale yeast, so be patient. and you won't see it going crazy like ale yeast either.

If you want to spend the money on a smack pack, then go ahead, but a starter is probably cheaper. A lot of people on here will say to make a HUGE starter, but I have never made my lager starters any bigger than I do for ales and have never had any problems. Hope this helps.

Back