Proper Serving Glass Cleaning Tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beretta

Reaction score
I have this nugget of wisdon I'de like to share with the group:

Four the best pour, head, and lace from your homebrew, prepare your serving glasses this way:

1. Clean your glasses as usual, let dry. Yes you can use a dishwasher, and soap!
2. Before serving, to remove all residual soaps, wet each glass down with COLD water, then sprinkle a bit a table salt on each glass inside and out.
3. Lightly scrub each glass with your fingers... the salt will do most of the work
4. Rinse the glass again in Cold water, let dry
5. pour beer, drink!

Using salt effectively softens the water, and will destroy all soapy/grimey residues. You'll be rewarded with better head retention, and lacing up the whazuu!

Very good! I know one of the members here made a youtube vid describing what you're saying. This will help people that start "My beer doesn't have any head" threads.

Actually, I learned this from the hatred of "squeaky clean" plates, silverware, and glasses people like to serve you. Specially from those with dishwashing machines. The feeling of the "squeak-clean" makes my skin crawl, and I nearly feel like vomiting! It's like nails-on-a-chalkboard X 1000, too me. Using a bit of salt and water to re-rinse the dishes eliminates the "squeak".... I tried it with beer glasses, and it also works great for a good pour!

This is the vid FishingDave mentions. :D

I've linked this many times:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ESd5lopUo[/youtube]

Wisdom card has officially been revoked. :tank:

All kidding aside, great information.

I guess that's the grammer I get at 9:00am, playing hookey from work!

I loved the Cat toss in the video... I waited in anticipation for it! Nice video btw.

Wow, i honestly didnt know this nor had ever heard of it before. Im going to have to try it, I can say tho, i will probably not regularly do it to anything other than my drinking glass, its just to much work. So basically sorry to my friends, you will not have the best head retention.

LMAO, stupid cat.

If you're doing this in quantity, what about a spray bottle filled with a salt solution, or a salt water "dip" for each glass before the final rinse... or does the scrubbing with your fingers contribute something that salt water alone would not?

If you're doing this in quantity, what about a spray bottle filled with a salt solution, or a salt water "dip" for each glass before the final rinse... or does the scrubbing with your fingers contribute something that salt water alone would not?

The crystalline salt acts as an abrasive.

Now you tell me! It's for glasses! Sheesh... someone told me years ago that to get better head you put salt in your water. I didn't realize they were talking about beer...

no wonder my dates always gave me funny looks at dinner...

Now you tell me! It's for glasses! Sheesh... someone told me years ago that to get better head you put salt in your water. I didn't realize they were talking about beer...

no wonder my dates always gave me funny looks at dinner...

Well it does pucker the lips....

(Lord I apologize for that....be with the starving pygmies in New Guinea)

Back