Best combo of techniques to achieve lasting hop aroma and flavor...share YOUR secret!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaceMN

Reaction score
If you're a hop-head who's found a method of creating a killer hop flavor, aroma, and retention, help better the hobby by sharing the techniques you swear by!

Now I know there are a bunch of threads about each of the processes that can be employed (First Wort Hopping, mash hopping, hopback, late-boil hopping, extended whirlpooling of flameout additions, extending steeping of flameout additions, various dry hopping techniques, etc...but I can't find any threads that compare/contrast among them and recommend a winning combination.

I want to know what works best for YOU; which process or combination of processes have you settled upon as your go-to method for achieving hop utopia?

For my own personal hoptopia I use my dad's homegrown hops (choices from brewer's gold, nugget, cascade, mt. hood and willamette) and (besides early bittering hops) add an ounce at 5-15 min, another ounce at flameout, dry hop with an ounce after primary completes, and then leave a 1.5 oz mix in a muslin bag in the keg... the aroma is phenomenal and the flavors last as long as the keg. The last APA I made was very well received even a couple months after kegging.

im curious as well.

I've only dry hopped, but I am curious about other methods. Dryhopping as lasted as long as it takes me to drink the batch though

I'm sure getting massive hops flavor and aroma is easily achievable by hopping the heck out of it at every stage, from mash to keg. And if I have to do that...that's what I'll do!! However, maximizing utilization of standard hopping amounts is what I'm really hoping to achieve.

Something I'm wondering about is how people choose among the techniques for using finishing hops. Some suggest to put them in as you drain your mash tun into the kettle (first wort hopping)...others suggest to put them in at flameout and steep or whirpool them for an extended period of time...and then you have those who recommend using finishing hops in a hopback device instead of the kettle.

All of the above methods utilize a recipe's finishing hops...so which method represents the best way to utilize those hops? Is there a magical way to combine those methods?

Keep the ideas flowing!

In my experience there are 2 places that greatly affect the hop flavor and aroma. Late addition hops, and dry hopping. For any given batch where I want a significant hop flavor and aroma, I'll add bittering hops, and then a late addition at 5 or 0 minutes. After 3 weeks in primary, I'll add dry hops and let them sit for one more week. After that, I rack to keg and force carbonate. Keeping the keg cold helps preserve the flavors and aromas.

I just made a pale ale with cascade and citra and it has an amazingly intense hop flavor and aroma.

The last time I dry hopped,it started diminishing at the 4 week mark. Maybe I should just fridge the whole batch when the taster comes out good? Anyway,that last batch used a 15min hop tea in the BK at the start of the boil,& one week dry hop on week 4 in primary.
This time,another pale ale,but put all 3lbs of the DME in at the start of the boil. About 5 mins to get it dissolved & boiling again,then 1oz US Perle hops timed to 20 mins. At ten mins,added .5oz of Czech Saaz. At flame out,the other .5oz of Saaz for a ten min steep. Added 1 can cooper's OS Draught after that. Topped off,got OG of 1.046. I'm hoping to get better aroma/flavors this way,that'll last longer as well.:mug:

All of the above methods utilize a recipe's finishing hops...so which method represents the best way to utilize those hops? Is there a magical way to combine those methods?

Keep the ideas flowing!

Sure there is, First wort a part, add lots at 5 mins and flame out, then hopback and finish it off with some dry hopping.

Keep it cold once carbed, and drink it fast.

Getting hops in the beer is easy IMO.
Keeping them from degrading...that's the trick.

Local brew club had an education recently using multiple bottles of an IPA direct from the brewery, at various monthly increments, half kept cold and half at room temp.

The difference between fresher and older was obvious, as was warm vs cold at the same age.

Latest posts

Back