A little help needed finding hop flavor and aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stosh

Reaction score
Type: All Grain
Size: 3.5 Gallon
OG 1.054
FG 1.010
Yeast: OYL 004
Mash: 150 degree full volume
Boil Time: 60 min
Primary Fermentation: 14 days @ 65

6.00 lbs 2 Row
0.35 lbs C20
0.35 lbs Carapils
0.70 lbs Munich

1.00 oz Chinook @ 12
1.50 oz Citra @ 4
1.50 oz Citra @ 2
1.00 oz Citra @ flameout

I found this recipe and thought it would have enough flavor and aroma with 5 oz of hops for a 3.5 gallon batch. I've brewed it a few times and it lacks flavor and aroma. I tried whirl-pooling 2 oz of El Dorado once to see what effect it would have and it had none.

I have yet to wade into the water chemistry end of the pool and I'm thinking water chem and mash ph might be two places I should start. Unfortunately I don't have a ph meter (could use some recommendations on which one could be a best fit on a coronavirus budget).

Using RO water, what water chem additions make the most sense to start with? I bottle so could oxygen be a contributing factor? I take great care to minimize aeration during bottling. Dare I ask if LODO methods need to be incorporated?

I've read some of the water chem sticky Yooper started and How to Brew among other info and it makes my head spin. I'll return to learning/reading eventually but right now it makes my head spin. All input/critiques are appreciated and I hope you are all healthy and getting through things ok. This too shall pass.
Thanks.

I bottle so could oxygen be a contributing factor? I take great care to minimize aeration during bottling. Dare I ask if LODO methods need to be incorporated?
Definitely.

Check out my bottling suggestions:
https://***************.com/wiki/Low_oxygen_brewing#Bottling

Let me know if something doesn't make sense.

Back