Keggle Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfan

Nice Beaver....
Reaction score
I have a friend whose dad owns a beer distributor. He hooked me up with an unserviceable keg that I made into a brew kettle. My 10 gallons of raspberry ale is boiling right now (only a minor problem with a boil over as I'm not used to adjusting the heat for this kettle). My question is: What's the best way to clean the kettle after the brew is done? I have heard that you don't want to scrub stainless. Will an Oxyclean soak get it clean enough to store until I have a primary available for another brew? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Anything with oxalic acid which you can find in the cleaners/detergent section of most grocery stores will work wonders. Wear gloves and eye protection. The brand I bought is Bartender's Friend or something like that. Some of the copper cleaners will be oxalic acid or in some cases the powdered cleaner for cookware will be oxalate. This will remove almost anything on that keggle including the chromium oxide layer which is what makes stainless well......mostly stainless. Don't worry though as soon as that protective layer is removed the chromium content the alloy will be immediately oxidized and your keggle repassivated. I wouldn't use this very often but it will work for those bad situations. John Palmer's book has a section that discusses this in much greater detail. go on line and check it out.

Jeffrey

Back