Inadvertent High Temps During Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FifteenTen

Reaction score
Today outside temps approached 100 degrees and my air conditioner drain line clogged forcing the unit to shut off. I have a pale ale and an IPA in primary, 6 days and 3 days respectively. I don’t know when the air conditioner shut off but when I got home at 6 pm the sticky thermometers on the buckets indicated 76 degrees on the outside. (I’m aware that active fermentation is warmer on the inside, but I’m going to block that from consciousness.) I put a fan on the buckets and fixed the air conditioner. They’ve drop to 75 degrees now three hours later. As my house’s internal temp drops over the next several hours, so will the beer I’m sure.

I’ve relaxed and had a home brew, but I wonder, should I fill the tub with cold water and submerge the buckets to crash them back to optimal range or just let it go at its own pace, ie slowly.

What should I expect with the beer since temps went over optimal for at least several hours during active fermentation?

I had the same thing happen, except SWMBO just thought that 86 was comfortable inside:mad: and my fermentation went almost just as high.
I had an IPA and a blonde ale at 6 and 3 days, respectively. I moved them to the basement (which had previously been too cold, this was the first hot day of spring) and they came back down to 68 within 36-48 hours. The IPA pooped out a little early, and didn’t quite finish right. I think it had mashing problems as well; it was our Big Brew batch and others had problems too.
My blonde turned out quite well, actually went to the finals in a local competition (winner will be announced sunday, I’ll keep ya posted!)

I wouldn’t put them in an ice bath - you don’t really want to shock it, besides the temps weren’t off the charts.
It seems that most of the active fermentation had passed, so you should be ok. If you have stalled fermentation, come back for more advice (just not from me, b/c i don’t know what to do!!)

Latest posts

Back