Storing Malt Syrup, DME and Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerG

Reaction score
I found something on this topic before but would feel better with some reassurance. I also make beer the way I cook so I keep a wide variety of ingredients on hand.

It didn't take long to figure out that buying malt syrup in bulk would save money so I got a 33lb container. I figured that since it's a food, I would pour the remainder; after my first batch out of the container and into gl water bottles and refridgerate it. Has anybody ever had a problem with this stuff going bad in about a month's time (I'll likely use it all within a month)?

My DME; I seal em in a prep-bucket to keep out moisture and sugar ants - that seems to work just fine. Any pointers for DME? It would seem that that stuff should last as long as it stays dry.

I've also read about grains getting moldy; any tips for storing grains?

All of my hops are vaccuum sealed and in the freezer.

I keep the specialty grains that I don't use often in vacuum sealed bags in my basement. I think the key is to keep 'em dry.

Keep your grains dry and dark, keep the hops dry and cold. I keep my grains and hops in the freezer and in sealed freezer storage bags.

Your storage for LME and DME sounds like a winner.

Even if properly stored, grains can get mold or weevils after a couple of months. I don't think there's anything you can do about that, except just use it ll up.

If you keep those grains in your freezer, you don't have to worry about weevils. I also know a guy that keeps them in a corny keg purged with CO2. No weevils there, either!

TL

I put all of the grains in the fridge to chill out any weevils. At least in FL; I have to throw out grain type foodstuffs like rice if it's in the pantry too long because the weevil eggs hatch. Hopefully the cold will kill them. Freezer in fridge #2 is FULL of hops.

but I'm working an a third fridge right now, my, won't the little lady be happy about that - another beer thing around the house, and a big beer thing, full of fermenting lager and frozen hops.

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back