Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the beer brewed here in Medford went over seas to the troops during WW2. The brewery folded soon after the war ended, mainly because they had lost their network of buyers.
My Dad was assistant brew master at the time, besides running a farm. Do you know how many times the title of assistant brew master involved wielding a shovel?

There are so many jobs/hobbies in this world where you spend more time cleaning than the actual work/doing.

At least with home brew you can drink all your efforts of cleaning, sanitizing, brew day and waiting on fermentation. :mug:

Yeah. They say drink our watery **** because we make it, even though they own part or all of a dozen craft breweries that they are bashing.

What craft breweries does Budweiser own?

Many people on this thread seem to be missing the fact that Budweiser is just one of a large stable of brands owned by AB-InBev. Budweiser still does their own advertising, and they don't "own" any craft breweries. Their parent company does, but Budweiser themselves do not. If anything, they're insulting their adopted step-siblings whom they've never met, and while that might make their parents mad, they'll get over it if it increases the bottom line.

Saying Budweiser owns Elysian is like saying Geico owns Dairy Queen (because Berkshire Hathaway owns them both, but owned Geico first).

If anything, they're insulting their adopted step-siblings whom they've never met

This may be the case with office staff and PR marketing, but not the brewers themselves. They travel, they transfer, they make 312 in one place and Bud Light in another .. many of them are trained as master brewers in places like Germany and Belgium. But it really doesn't matter -- they are brewing for a target market and they accept the assignment and the pay. You brew for a different clientele with 312 than you do with Bud Light but the hours are the same, the pay is the same and the need to follow the recipe and keep the equipment in top shape is the same.

I'm still trying to figure out how much acid one needs to drop before they can taste colors.

"This tastes dark"
"Like pitch black or more like a maroon?"
"More like navy blue with hints of maroon"

Generally speaking, 1 dose is probably sufficient.

Wasn't everything? Your age is showing, unionrdr. ;) :mug:

Gee, ya think!? :D I think it's good that my memories still go back that far. To be able to make interesting comparisons from then versus now first-hand does make me an old fart. But it's cool...:mug: Wait a tick...how can I be an old fart when my farts aren't old?...

What craft breweries does Budweiser own?

Many people on this thread seem to be missing the fact that Budweiser is just one of a large stable of brands owned by AB-InBev. Budweiser still does their own advertising, and they don't "own" any craft breweries. Their parent company does, but Budweiser themselves do not. If anything, they're insulting their adopted step-siblings whom they've never met, and while that might make their parents mad, they'll get over it if it increases the bottom line.

Saying Budweiser owns Elysian is like saying Geico owns Dairy Queen (because Berkshire Hathaway owns them both, but owned Geico first).

Given that it was a merger and A-B is in the name, I consider them one in the same.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anheuser–Busch_InBev

Given that it was a merger and A-B is in the name, I consider them one in the same.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anheuser–Busch_InBev

wikipedia said:
AB InBev was formed following the acquisition of American brewer Anheuser-Busch by Belgian-Brazilian brewer InBev, which itself is a merger of AmBev and Interbrew.

Sounds like a few "mergers" I've been a part of.

"No... it's not an acquisition, it's a merger!"

"Well, it's public record, 10 secs of GoogleFu can tell you that."

"Oh."

Yesterday for Super Bowl, I opened an amber ale that was my first brew, about a year ago. Buddy's wife, bud/Busch light drinker, wants to give it a try. I tell her she will not like it and will make the bad beer face she has made before when she took a sip of others. I tell her to take a good chug and taste the flavor. She takes a sip, makes said face and runs to the chili on the stove to get rid of the taste. Goes on to say,"if I had to drink that beer, I would quit drinking beer!" I tried to explain flavor profiles of different beers, but she just got back into her bud light. She did like my spiced apple cider though.

Sounds to me like she never started drinking beer how can she quit

Yesterday for Super Bowl, I opened an amber ale that was my first brew, about a year ago. Buddy's wife, bud/Busch light drinker, wants to give it a try. I tell her she will not like it and will make the bad beer face she has made before when she took a sip of others. I tell her to take a good chug and taste the flavor. She takes a sip, makes said face and runs to the chili on the stove to get rid of the taste. Goes on to say,"if I had to drink that beer, I would quit drinking beer!" I tried to explain flavor profiles of different beers, but she just got back into her bud light. She did like my spiced apple cider though.

Sounds to me like she never started drinking beer how can she quit?

Sounds to me like she never started drinking beer how can she quit?

I was talking to my caterer about home brewing last week and she insisted that it can't be as good as commercial beer. I pressed her for an example, and she used Coors Light. I told her there was no way I could brew a Light Lager even close. She asked me why I even brew. I handed her my IPA, and told her this is what I want to do. She almost puked.

Hops are an acquired taste.

Yeah, 5 years ago I thought Sierra Nevada pale ale tasted like bitter poison, and that something must be wrong with people's taste buds that drink it. After I got into brewing, it's amazing how your palate evolves. SNPA tastes like water to me now. Definitely is an acquired taste, especially if all you ever had were BMC type of beers. So, I try to take a deep breath when I hear such
ridiculous comments, since I can sort of relate to that (thank God a thing of my past, though)!! Still, I was always willing to try something with an open mind. That does get to me a little when people won't even be willing to try something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Got an earful about the probiotic properties of kombucha..uggggh

Yeast (brewer's, but often also brett and other wild saccharomyces species), lactobacillus, maybe some pediococcus... they may not know it, but that SCOBY's got an awful lot in common with the bugs living in a lambic. You should thank 'em for reminding you that a sour beer a day keeps the doctor away.

You can "consider" it whatever you want, but it doesn't make you right. The brands that Anheuser Busch owns are listed right here, and none of them are "craft" brands (unless you consider Shock Top "craft").

I would "consider" minority ownership as owning a brand

& I would "consider" Red Hook, Widmer and Elysian to be "craft"

View attachment 1423139227809.jpg

Fine. Budweiser owns Elysian. And Cadillac owns Opel (because they have the same parent, GM). And Ferrari owns Jeep (because they have the same parent, Fiat). And K-Y owns Lysol (because they have the same parent, Reckitt Benckiser). And Minute Maid owns Powerade (because they have the same parent, Coca Cola). And Gillette owns Tampax (because they have the same parent, Proctor & Gamble).

There's no such thing as nuance or context when it comes to the complex global ownership inherent in composite multinational corporations resulting from a series of mergers and acquisitions. It's all the same. Every brand in the portfolio should know everything that every other brand is doing, and should be careful that their advertising doesn't conflict in any way with any other sibling brand in the family.

Happy?

Way back when (1976, when the drinking age in NJ was 18), the story went around that Guinness (well, I guess stouts in general, but that was the only one around my area back then) was beer "from the bottom of the barrels" and "really strong"......LOL....if I only knew then what I know now....I liked stout way back then, regardless ;)

Yeah, 5 years ago I thought Sierra Nevada pale ale tasted like bitter poison, and that something must be wrong with people's taste buds that drink it. After I got into brewing, it's amazing how your palate evolves. SNPA tastes like water to me now. Definitely is an acquired taste, especially if all you ever had were BMC type of beers. So, I try to take a deep breath when I hear such
ridiculous comments, since I can sort of relate to that (thank God a thing of my past, though)!! Still, I was always willing to try something with an open mind. That does get to me a little when people won't even be willing to try something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Years ago I used to drink "mainstream" beer. Labatt, Miller, Etc... The most craft I would go would by Boston Lager or Sam's Summer ale.
Then I moved to a new residence and met my neighbor. His philosophy is to "never buy anything that is labeled on a NASCAR". He kept feeding me Micro brews from Pittsburgh, NH, MA and NY. Little by little I grew to enjoy the flavor, instead of drinking strictly for effect. I soon decided to by a different six pack every time I needed one, just to expand my horizons and learned to appreciate craft beer.
Just yesterday I yelled out to him raving about SN Black IPA (my first Black IPA) And he was unaware of this style!
And now the student has become the master!!

Way back when (1976, when the drinking age in NJ was 18), the story went around that Guinness (well, I guess stouts in general, but that was the only one around my area back then) was beer "from the bottom of the barrels" and "really strong"......LOL....if I only knew then what I know now....I liked stout way back then, regardless ;)

Funny, a coworker told me the same thing the other day, but it was about Bock beer.
"it comes from the bottom of the vat"- Him
"how does a vat of budwieser become so dark at the bottom of the vat?"-me
"it just does, my brother in law knows about these things"-him
"than why does bock taste soo different than bud?"-me
"I dont know I dont drink either of them, I am a coors man"-Him
"what ever dude!"- me

That was the time you needed to explain to him why he's wrong. But I've heard the Bock thing in person before. I'm curious to know where it started.

They found it on wonderful places like this thread started by our very own Klubb! Duuhhh!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/funny-things-billy-klubb-should-say-about-beer-public-510992/

In the years before we had a Klubb, BMC noticed a ripple it the sales of their beverages caused by craft brewing. They would start rumors to damage the sales of anything that competed with the selling a their beer. They did this so the general public would never find out what beer was supposed to taste like.

That was the time you needed to explain to him why he's wrong. But I've heard the Bock thing in person before. I'm curious to know where it started.

He is a 68 year old man
& a Red Sox fan.

I have learned that neither like to have their mind changed no matter the truth!

I was at the store picking up Founders "All Day IPA"

Cashier: Have you tried this before?
Me: Yeah, I love IPA, why?
Cashier: I can't stand it, the aftertaste is so flowery/fruity that it doesn't really taste like beer.

I was at the store picking up Founders "All Day IPA"

Cashier: Have you tried this before?
Me: Yeah, I love IPA, why?
Cashier: I can't stand it, the aftertaste is so flowery/fruity that it doesn't really taste like beer.

Go back to him and hand him a harpoon IPA, that is a dank IPA with no fruit or flowers.

Fine. Budweiser owns Elysian. And Cadillac owns Opel (because they have the same parent, GM). And Ferrari owns Jeep (because they have the same parent, Fiat). And K-Y owns Lysol (because they have the same parent, Reckitt Benckiser). And Minute Maid owns Powerade (because they have the same parent, Coca Cola). And Gillette owns Tampax (because they have the same parent, Proctor & Gamble).

There's no such thing as nuance or context when it comes to the complex global ownership inherent in composite multinational corporations resulting from a series of mergers and acquisitions. It's all the same. Every brand in the portfolio should know everything that every other brand is doing, and should be careful that their advertising doesn't conflict in any way with any other sibling brand in the family.

Happy?

This looks like it's shaping up to be the final part in the dullest trilogy ever. Economics Derail 3: Rise of the Corporations.

Happy?

Without running it all the way up the corporate chain, look up A-B's own website.
http://anheuser-busch.com/index.php/our-beers/?learn_more=true
It says that they, not InBev, own goose island, Johnny Appleseed, Kirin, Stella, shock top, and redbridge. Those all look a whole hell of a lot like craft beer. Maybe not to the point of some that we all know and love. But to an outside observer, they would be lumped with our side; craft beer. So, Budweiser, a beer made by Anheuser-Busch, had a super bowl ad that made fun of the people that drink some of their own brands. I thought that was funny. What is sad is most of the people drinking bmc don't realize they own these brands, and most people drinking those brands thinking they have left bmc behind, are still in the same line.

Back