How much do you brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maltjunkie

Reaction score
I reviewed my brew journal. Over the last 5 years I averaged 6.4 bbls of homebrew in 6 to 12 gallon batches a year. Wow! I must be afflicted but im probably not the onley one.

I hit 187gal in my 1st 11 months of brewing last year (2011). I'll be right at 100gal this afternoon (doing a saison), so it looks like I'm on the same pace. Of course, I brewed 100gal last year between Halloween & New Years...

Due to time, money, and space restrictions I can only brew about once a month and am limited to one 5 or 5.5 gallon batch at a time. This will put me right around 60 gallons for the year, but if I had my way it would easily be double that if not more.

cfonnes said:
6.4 bbl x 31 = 198.4

Does the law vary from state to state? I thought that up to 200 gallons a year was legal.

200 gallons per 21+ adult in the house, so I could legally make 400 a year for swmbo and I.

I think I made around 150 last year, slowing it down more this year tho.

pm5k00 said:
200 gallons per 21+ adult in the house, so I could legally make 400 a year for swmbo and I.

I think I made around 150 last year, slowing it down more this year tho.

Federal law states 100 gallons per 21+ adult up to 200 gallons household.

OClairBrew said:
Due to time, money, and space restrictions I can only brew about once a month and am limited to one 5 or 5.5 gallon batch at a time. This will put me right around 60 gallons for the year, but if I had my way it would easily be double that if not more.

I'm in this boat. Got five batches in so far this year. Started in February.

Fathers day will be the completion of 1 year, and have brewed 12 5gal batches. It's been a great year!!!!
And soooo much more to learn.

I started brewing at the end of February and have brewed 80 gal so far. I have another 10 gal planned for this coming weekend.

Just over 40 gallons this year, so far... I hit ~100 (not saying exact number but let's just say I slammed the legal limit :D) last year... I hope to do the same this year.

since 96 as much as 400 gallons a year and as little as 40 - depends on a lot. kids, houses, renovations, barrels to fill etc. i don't have too many expectations or deadlines...

Sadly, I do not brew as much as I would like. Mostly due to a demanding job. I try to brew once a month (10 gallons) and I have to put it on the calendar...

If I had my way, I would brew a lot more.

Roughly average for small batches i do,about 4.5-6.5 gal a month.Doing my small last double batch this weekend til winter though.

I brew about every other weekend 5-15 gallon batches depending on what is needed. I dont have a hard count for the year though.

I think I am right around 100 gallons so far this year. I operate on the theory that if you want to get good at something you have to practice.:D

phunhog said:
i think i am right around 100 gallons so far this year. I operate on the theory that if you want to get good at something you have to practice.:d

+1

I'm re-starting after a 4-year hiatus; in the past, beer + wine, I averaged ~800L per year (just over 200gal). This year, with the rebuilding of the wine cellar, I was on track for ~1000L (about 250gal). But I just brewed a bunch for a family get-together, that's bumped that up another 200L.

Luckily, we don't have silly caps on home brew production up north...

Bryan

2011 was my highest year with 115 gallons. My goal for this year is 130. Counting full fermenters right now I'm at 45 with everything on hand to make it 50. Now I just need to find the time to keep it going, especially with the elevated consumption rates of summer!

I don't have the time to brew nearly as often as I like. I started right around this time last year and have done nine batches. We'll see how much that drops off with my daughter being due in about 5 weeks. I started all-grain brewing back in December. So, with the new processes, my brew day jumped to about five hours. I figure I can easily knock about an hour off of that once I get my process streamlined. So, maybe I can brew at about the same rate or maybe slightly more often. We'll see.

Not enough. So far I've only been able to brew four batches of 5 gallons. Pretty bad, but I'm in school with a kid so it's not so bad. Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll have doubled that quantity.

I just recently started, but am trying to brew once a week. I figure life will limit me to 2-3 times a month for some months. I should be averaging between 150-200 gallons per year. That is doing 5 gallon batches, but I'm slowly accumulating stuff to start doing 10 gallon batches. That won't change the frequency in which I brew because I will send 5 gallons of each batch home with my brother, so I could be doubling that.

Since i'm new to the hobby i've been averaging 1x5gal/month so only 60 gal of the 100/person in my household.

According to my notes I have made ~35 gallons of beer since January. If I included my meads, wines and ciders on the other hand...

I have brewed 85 gallons so far this year. Still not enough. I give away a lot!

Sadly, I am only brewing about once every six weeks. I'd like to brew at least once a month (if not more), but work and finances dictate otherwise.

I did 2 ten gal runs, then 5 small batch test runs, then the summers comming 25gal weekend run. And, an old man who has trouble brewing anymore; we made 15gal at my house and he took it home and pitched the yeast. I have no idea how to add that up? 53gal of beer and 15gal of sugar water?

I currently do 1 - 5 gal batch a month. I'd love to brew more often but cant due to kids and other factors. I am currently working on getting the equipment for 10 gal batches. Brew more beer and keep the same brew schedule!!

Sorry to bring back such an old thread...but I'm wondering what you do with all that beer. I can have two brews going at the same time and 2 kegs. I can't drink it fast enough to brew as much beer as you guys are saying you do.

I would love to brew twice a month or so but I'd have nowhere to put it. Do you only drink what you brew or what? I'm asking because I want to brew more, but aside from giving most of it away, I can't manage that much beer.

Back