Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilly954

Reaction score
I really love my lagers..
Ive done a few brews now but really want to get into lagering my lagers, ive recently setup an old fridge with temp control but im wanting to know a bit more info on this?
Can i do lagering in my primary fermenter or do i have to move to secondary than drop the temp down for 4-6 weeks than bottle?
Can i ferment bottle than do Lagering?
Im prob not making much sense hence the questions.
Does anyone have the time to explain the process.
thanks

Can i do lagering in my primary fermenter or do i have to move to secondary than drop the temp down for 4-6 weeks than bottle?

I recently heard John Palmer mention that he lagered a beer in primary and it worked great - so it is a possibility. I just rack to a keg to lager.

I think it was the recent Brew Strong episode.

Thnks for reply,
Kegging would be good..I'm saving..
Do you think if i fermented at low temps than bottled and left
at room temp for a couple months i will make a nice lager?

I really love my lagers..
Ive done a few brews now but really want to get into lagering my lagers, ive recently setup an old fridge with temp control but im wanting to know a bit more info on this?
Can i ferment bottle than do Lagering?
Im prob not making much sense hence the questions.
Does anyone have the time to explain the process.
thanks

I have been thinking of lagering and I believe it's done within the fermenter process. Lager yeast ferments best at a lower temp rather than ale yeast. The dry yeast I plan on using on my first lager ferments best at 48 to 60 deg.

Perhaps I am wrong :confused:

Back