bought wrong grain!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadWolfBrewing

Reaction score
So, I had planned on doing a german pils this weekend. The recipe was simple.

3.25 g batch, ~70% eff

6.65 lb german pilsner grain
1 oz Mittlefruh for 60
0.3 oz Mittlefruh for 15
0.3 oz Mittlefruh for 1

German bock yeast WLP 833

After a long discussion with a brewing cousin about a brown ale recipe, my brain was thinking about Maris Otter. And so, as I'm not bright, that is what I got instead of the Pilsner malt I set out for.

The LHBS isn't that far out of my way (adventures in homebrew), so I can go back. That being said, I like living on the wild side and I'm happy to drink most things.

Anybody see a definitive reason why MO malt, noble hops, and a lager yeast is an awful combination? I have no other malts on hand to add to the grist. Thoughts about a mash temperature?

I'm all about the adventurous brews, mixing up styles and ingredients and whatnot. That being said, there are probably some BAD combinations out there...

Many thanks,

I'm sure it'll be fine. Obviously, it won't be a German pilsner without pilsner malt, but if you can get past that, it should be a mighty fine brew. That M.O. is some good stuff.

I say go for it- it's bound to be interesting. It could be the best beer you've ever made. I don't think there have been too many MO/Mittlefruh SMASH lagers done before- you'd be one of the first.

Wrong Grain? no problem make a different beer or as suggested try it anyway...

or

GO get the right grain and start thinking about how you will use what you have...

I clean out the grain bin everyonce in a while and make a Kitchen-Sick beer... they are always drinkable.

DPB

Go with what you got. Every other year I make up a Marris Otter Bock. All Maris Otter, and WLP830. It's freaking awesome, and the lager yeast really makes the bready flavors shine.

Back