Beer left sitting for months in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerArdua

Reaction score
Hi all,

Due to getting married, moving, honeymooning, and plain putting it off I've allowed my beer to sit in my primary for about 5 months now. Are there any negative effects this will have and should I do anything before I bottle and carbonate?

Thanks!

Other than perhaps a tid bit of oxidation, I think the beer should be fine. Also, you will probably have to re-pitch a package of yeast for carbonation purposes.

What kind of beer is it? I've heard some tend to fair better for longer periods of time in a primary, as opposed to others.

It was this recipe.

And just to clarify. I should re-pitch and wait for a few days and then carbonate?

If you're worried, I'd just add a little rehydrated dry yeast to the bottling bucket, rack and bottle. If you've got another beer in primary, just use a wine thief to get a bit of yeast from there and do the same.

I doubt it's even oxidized at all. It's probably going to be fantastic. Since it's not a beer that's high on aroma hops you don't have to worry about that. Bottle it up and enjoy, my friend.

just go for it. since you're bottling, and coming off the primary, go ahead and bottle with the same amount of sugar you normally use. it might taste a bit off, but will still be good ( better that SOS... sh@@ off the shelf)

If the beer has been sealed in a fermentor so that no outside air can get inside, then I'd say go ahead and bottle or keg as you usually do. Otherwise, I'd suggest that you draw off a sample and have a taste. If it seems drinkable, have at it. Remember that sour beer was once popular. You may have recreated a classic. It may also be that the beer is just fine. There's no way to tell until you sample it.

John

Back