final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normeller

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch, a wheat beer. The og was 1050. After a week of fermentation it seems to have only gotten to 1020 and is falling no further. Is this bad. I understand it is suppose to be lower aroung 1010. What should I do? It smells and appears ok

1.020 is a little high for a 1.050 OG, but it's only been a week. Let it go another week or two and see what happens. If it hasn't changed, there are a number of things you can try, such as gently swirling the fermentor to stir up the yeast, or adding more yeast. There are more drastic measures, but I think most people would advise you to be content with 1.020. What yeast are you using, and what is the temperature where you're fermenting?

Notty should attenuate lower than that. Your temp is fine, maybe even a bit high, but that wouldn't slow fermentation. Give it a few more days in primary and check gravity again. Racking to secondary can also stir up the yeast a bit and revive fermentation. If it stays at 1.020 after that, your just a victim of the 1.020 curse.

Back