Taps BELOW keg - source of foaming issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emurray

Reaction score
I'm using an inherited fridge as a new kegerator. It's the kind with the fridge ABOVE the freezer.

I set the system up and am using it for the first time. Biermunchers Centennial Blonde is the inaugural beer on tap and was force carbed with the "set and forget" method.

Problem is that everytime I pull a pint, I get a lot of foam initially... For about a quarter of the pint; then it pours fine. Immediate subsequent pours are also fine. If I wait an hour or so, then pour again, the initial foam returns.

I'm worried that since my taps are below the middle of each keg, I'm getting siphon/pressure issues.

I've got 6 feet of beverage line with about 10 psi serving pressure.

I can see pockets of air collecting in the line. See photos.

So, is this normal? What am I doing wrong?

(never mind the "design" on the fridge. SWMBO painted it with chalkboard paint and got to it before me)

image-672833789.jpg

image-917149743.jpg

image-1029385364.jpg

Problem is that everytime I pull a pint, I get a lot of foam initially... For about a quarter of the pint; then it pours fine. Immediate subsequent pours are also fine. If I wait an hour or so, then pour again, the initial foam returns.

RDWHAHB.

This is completely normal with draft brew. Mine does it too. Once you clear the beer that's been sitting in the line, it goes normal.

When I'm serving guest, I get the first glass, every other pour is fine and I get mine refilled quickly.

I'm using an inherited fridge as a new kegerator. It's the kind with the fridge ABOVE the freezer.

I set the system up and am using it for the first time. Biermunchers Centennial Blonde is the inaugural beer on tap and was force carbed with the "set and forget" method.

I'm worried that since my taps are below the middle of each keg, I'm getting siphon/pressure issues.

I've got 6 feet of beverage line with about 10 psi serving pressure.

I can see pockets of air collecting in the line. See photos.

So, is this normal? What am I doing wrong?

(never mind the "design" on the fridge. SWMBO painted it with chalkboard paint and got to it before me)

I ran into this problem on mine, and came up with a solution that has not rendered any more air in the line:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/n00bs-like-me-coupler-above-faucet-purge-bubbles-beer-line-360190/

Back