1/16 DIN Arduino Based Timer/Logger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm slowly starting my control panel build (kettles are should be in this month) and would like something with a better timer interface and some opportunity for future usages. Has anyone contemplated building a Arduino based timer that would drop in a 1/16 DIN slot? The osPID (http://www.ospid.com) seems like it could be a decent starting point for such a thing (and maybe more).

Initial thoughts:

- Display current timer H:MM or MM:SS
- Timer profiles could be interesting (e.g. 90m timer w/ reminders at 60m, 20m,10m, 5m, 0m) for hop/other additions
- Alarm on timer expiration
- Alarm inputs from the PIDs (would also let me get rid of the alarm switches if they're easy to toggle on/off)
- Easy Alarm on/off indicators (boil, mash, hlt, timer)
- Easy to silence an alarm (on -> off toggle)

This could also be a integration point for other interesting feature like logging a brew session (temp, pumps on/off, elements in/off, alarms, ...). This would mean terminating the RTD probes in the arduino and then outputing a DC mV in place of the RTD input if temp was captured.

I'll post some more thoughts if anyone is interested. Control panel is shaping up to be a reduced/simplified version of Kal's.

ControlPanel.png

Sounds like a fun expansion on Kal's venerable control panel. I'm not sure I understand why you're thinking to use osPID as a base, though...From the picture, it looks like you want to keep to Auber PIDs and then use the arduino in place of Kal's alarm box, no?

Sounds like a fun expansion on Kal's venerable control panel. I'm not sure I understand why you're thinking to use osPID as a base, though...From the picture, it looks like you want to keep to Auber PIDs and then use the arduino in place of Kal's alarm box, no?

I've been looking at the osPID, not for the PID feature, but for the form-factor. It's basically a 1/16 DIN Arduino with finger cards for input/output. Create a new input card for the alarm signals and write some new firmware and it can be whatever you want.

bolts said:
I've been looking at the osPID, not for the PID feature, but for the form-factor. It's basically a 1/16 DIN Arduino with finger cards for input/output. Create a new input card for the alarm signals and write some new firmware and it can be whatever you want.

If the convenience outweighs the cost, seems reasonable enough. Still, the form factor of the osPID is just an exposed PCB with a small LCD and push buttons soldered on. That's pretty easy to recreate. More importantly, in a brewery setting I'd want something more robust than that, but YMMV of course.

Or, if you were feeling particularly ambitious, you could replace all of the PIDs with a single microprocessor. It feels a bit redundant to try to interface a bunch of external PIDs with a general purpose board.

In any case, keep us posted :mug:

If the convenience outweighs the cost, seems reasonable enough. Still, the form factor of the osPID is just an exposed PCB with a small LCD and push buttons soldered on. That's pretty easy to recreate. More importantly, in a brewery setting I'd want something more robust than that, but YMMV of course.

Yup, the one thing I can't seem to find is any enclosures for something like this that would be brewery friendly (wet hands, water spray, etc). Getting a 3d printed shell, acrylic front and gaskets isn't too hard -- it's getting the dang buttons to work too that's problematic.

Or, if you were feeling particularly ambitious, you could replace all of the PIDs with a single microprocessor. It feels a bit redundant to try to interface a bunch of external PIDs with a general purpose board.

That might be version 2... basically a custom board (or brewtroller) with PID displays in place of the Auber PIDs. Run the temp probes into the board. Fairly simple to contemplate -- another exercise to execute. At that point it's just recreational tinkering because it's fun :)

bolts said:
Yup, the one thing I can't seem to find is any enclosures for something like this that would be brewery friendly (wet hands, water spray, etc). Getting a 3d printed shell, acrylic front and gaskets isn't too hard -- it's getting the dang buttons to work too that's problematic.

Are you buying your control box pre-cut? If not, why do you want a standard DIN size? Waterproof buttons and LCDs are easy enough to come by on their own.

bolts said:
That might be version 2... basically a custom board (or brewtroller) with PID displays in place of the Auber PIDs. Run the temp probes into the board. Fairly simple to contemplate -- another exercise to execute. At that point it's just recreational tinkering because it's fun :)

It takes all kinds, I guess! I would find a single controller much easier to implement than trying to run the Aubers through the Arduino. But, whatever works for you is what you should do! :mug:

Back