Dual 120v 2 Pump 2 Element Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CxRxExAxM

Reaction score
Hello all,

Wasn't sure if this should go in Electric or Automated brewing but i figured with the Pi this was a safe bet.

I was hoping i could get some feedback and a couple questions answered about a control panel i've been designing for use with Craftbeerpi...probably. (If i understand correctly, it would be easy to put an arduino in place of the pi and run brucontrol.... But, I already have an extra pi4 and some 1 wire probes so i'll start there and mess around later.)

This will control a 5g E-Herms with steam condenser. (just need to order elements and condenser)

Im looking into 120v options for a couple of reasons:
-Electrical panel is full and already has multiple slim breakers
-Dryer outlet is 3 wire. I'm not interested in re running 4 wire because it's on the exact opposite side of the house as the main panel.
-I have a 50a 4 wire in the kitchen but it is hardwired to cooktop and don't really want to brew there anyway.
-I have a couple 20a and couple 15a circuits reasonably close to where id like to work in my laundry room.
-Easier to GFCI protect

I didn't include the temperature wiring but it will be d18b20 to the pi for the time being.
Circuit 2 could be 20a as well but i wanted to see if this would work for more brew location flexibility in the future.

Questions:
-Does the included "diagram" make sense? I feel like i've read every panel thread twice while in quarantine trying to get a grasp.
-it doesn't look like a lot of chip controlled panels use contactors like the PID ones, is this true and why?
-Is there anything that could be added to make this any more safe, intuitive, quality of life improvements, w/e?
-How much does a condenser really help in lessening boil power requirements. (is it a game changer or just meh)?
-Can anyone recommend a power switcher/transformer or way to run the Pi off circuit 2?

I like to tinker quite a bit so my thought process here is to try and build a base that i can add to later as i see fit.
-Maybe a Hot rod or add couple three way selectable small elements off the second circuit if times are too excruciatingly slow
-Try out arduino? automation scripts etc...
-Eventual fermentation control

Thanks for any input

1589269525522.png

Back