Did I prime right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbals

Reaction score
Noob here:
So a couple friends and I got together to try brewing- We choose a Partial Mash Hefewiezen. The recipe at the LHB store called for us to boil the last bit (think it was half a can) of extract and pour it into the bottling bucket. The guide never said anything about priming and I was wondering if this extra step was considered the priming.

Thank you for your time,
Dan

Yes that was priming, although a half a can seems wrong unless it was a very small can.

Where abouts are you in the Chicago area and which lhbs did you get the kit from?

Yep, they are having you prime with the fermentables in the LME can. As long as you followed the instructions, and they were good instructions you should be good to go.

Now, step away from the bottles and let them sit for AT LEAST 3 weeks at 70F.

Thank God-
I got a bit worried and the other three guys had no idea. Just bought the Joy of homebrew but waiting for it to arrive and we followed the recipe to a Tee.

I actually live in Justice- and have only been to my LHBS (Bev-Art on western) twice. Once for bottles for my mr. beer kit a year ago (they were out of brown bottles in both 16 and 12oz) and once for this recipe (they had to substitute different hops and yeast as they were out). I guy there really seems to know his stuff but if you guys would have a better LHBS near Chicago please let me know.

Thanks again,
Dan

Bev Art is really good in my experience - small but good selection and knowledgeable. I'm amazed they gave you directions that called for extract priming - not really standard practice for new brewers.

Here's a couple ideas for you for next time:

1. They offer brewing classes at BevArt, might be fun and educational for you.
2. They sell complete boxed kits, with everything you need and that might be a good idea for you as you learn
3. Tell the owner (moustache, thin, blondish-red hair, not the big guy with glasses) that you're learning and ask for his help
4. www.howtobrew.com
5. Watch a good series of introduction to brewing videos at www.homebrewingvideo.com

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Thanks for the help-

Last time I was at BevArt I spent about an hour talking to Kazys- The info was fantastic and learned allot about hops. This time brewing we had to conform to one buddy who wanted to brew a "Coors Lite" type of beer and Kazys helped the rest of us out by steering us towards the current Hefe recipe.

I was pretty happy with the taste while we bottled too. We all enjoyed the nice Banana smell.

Thanks again,
Dan

Back