Forgot to take readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TatayJon

Reaction score
I'm using 1 gallon of Martinelli's 100% Apple juice, 2 cups of brown sugar, 1.3g of Red Star Montrachet yeast. Can anyone predict the OG?

Matinelli's Apple Juice contains 36g sugar/10fl oz. That means in 1 gal (128 fl oz) there should be 448g sugar. Sugar usually has the potential for 46 points/gal per pound of sugar. 448g is .99 pounds, so for simplicity, call it a pound. That means a total of three pounds of sugar at 46 points/pound/gallon should give you an estimated OG of 1.138 in one gallon. As a rule of thumb, normal apple juice/cider has an OG of about 1.050, so you can do a quick calculation of adding 46 points for every pound of sugar/gallon. In this case, the quick calculation would give you 50+92=142, which is about 4 points off the above.

I made a rough estimate the juice was 1.05. I'm glad to know I wasn't off there. I estimated .035 (.038?) for the sugar. I'm not sure where I lost the .100 at in my calculation.

Thank you for the very quick response. I'll have to go over your calculations to see where I made my error.

Sorry, I didn't read the question completely! I just saw you had cups of brown sugar, not pounds. My mistake. Whatever your 2 cups of sugar weighs, use the ppg (points/pound/gallon) of 46 to determine how many points the sugar contributes. I just looked up the weight of packed brown sugar. It's ~7.75 oz/cup, so two cups should be ~1 lb or 46 points. So your guestimated OG should be 1.092 (1.046 for the AJ and 46 for the sugar.)

between 1.001 & 1.100....roughly.

Last time I forgot to take an OG I just put on the tag/label "ABV% = 404 Not Found"

So your guestimated OG should be 1.092 (1.046 for the AJ and 46 for the sugar.)

Thank you very much for helping out. Glad I didn't make that huge of a mistake. I wasn't too far off from your estimate.

Latest posts

Back