School Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpipe67

Reaction score
Good day all,
I am writing as a complete novice to beer brewing, despite this I have been tasked with a project which involves brewing a gluten free beer so I'm hoping that some of the fine beer experts on this forum will be gracious enough to answer some question I have.
I will give you some background to my project and then list a few questions I have and hopefully someone will be able to assist.

My project consists of a small brewery startup run by 2 people. They have a purse of $200,000 to renovate a space large enough to contain the equipment nescessary to brew gluten free beer (an Ale not a Lager) and they will only brew 1 kind of this beer. Their product is very good and will be adopted by local restaurants and bars once production begins. All the nescessary licensing and insurance have been taken care of and we are at the stage of the project where we want to determine our ROI or return on investment. So basically how long will it take to recouperate $200,000.

As you are all very aware here, the beer brewing process has definite stages which take specific periods of time, what we have not done up to this point in our project is provide capacity for any of our equipment, I believe 10 hectoliter tanks are not too large but as I am not a beer producer, I do not understand if this is enough or what this will translate to in kegs (or whatever the correct means of containment would be to provide to bars and restaurants). So I will post my questions which I believe would allow me to calculate the ROI.

1. How long of a process from beginning to end would it take to complete a batch of Gluten free Ale?
2. What would be an ideal volume to be producing in this situation (providing between 4 and 6 establishments with our beer)
3. How much approximatley would the cost of ingredients be per batch based on the volume
4. How many man hours or labor would be involved
5. Delivery cost (what are options to deliver beer to establishments?)
6. How many kegs would be produced from each batch and how much would an appropriate price be for a keg?

I really hope I am asking the right questions, like I say, i'm a complete novice to beer making and am looking to the experts for advice with specifics.

Many thanks in advance with any advice and assiststance you are able to provide.

Apologies to moderators, I had already made this post in the wrong forum.

1. You'll need to say more about their product--is it made from malted grains, or only from sugars and grain extracts? In other words, is mashing and lautering part of the process, or just boiling, fermentation, and clearing?

2. The usual production capacity of a nano-scale brewery ranges from 1 to 7 barrels (a barrel is around 31 U.S. gallons). It is difficult to achieve profitability at a capacity below 7 barrels, because the labor involved in producing a single batch of beer is no different for 1 barrel vs. 7 barrels, and it's much more efficient if your labor results in a larger quantity of product.

3. I think you are in a better position to answer that than we are--what are the ingredients, where are you sourcing them, and how much goes into each batch?

4. Again, that depends on your batch size and process, and considering that we are homebrewers, it will be tough for us to answer. Your man-hours will be no different than non-gluten-free brewing that follows the same process, so you might ask in a pro-brewer forum.

5. Providing kegs of gluten-free beer can be problematic, because kegs often share tap-lines with non-gluten-free beers, allowing for cross-contamination and an end-product that will not be tolerable to some gluten-free drinkers. Bottles are more fool-proof, but if you can get your restaurant and bar customers to dedicate a tap to your product, some risk will be mitigated. Nevertheless, I am currently unaware of any gluten-free brewery that is packaged for distribution in kegs. New Planet, Bard's, Green's, Harvester, New Grist, St. Peter's Sorgham, Redbridge, Glutenator, etc. are all packaged in bottles, and I have never seen or heard of them being served on draft. If you decide to bottle rather than keg, your packaging costs will be increased--you will need a bottling line, which is a substantial investment, and bottles are more expensive than kegs and non-reusable. However, they are also easier to move, and can be sold more widely (as well as directly to consumers). As for exact costs, again, a pro-brewer forum will be more helpful.

6. To figure out kegs per batch is simple: calculate net beer output from each batch (total batch size minus wastage), divide by capacity of kegs. Kegs come in a variety of sizes, and I don't know what typical wastage quantities are like for commercial beer production. Some volume will be lost to yeast, trub, and inefficiencies.

The more you can tell us about what you already have figured out, the better.

Thanks for your reply igliashon, I have made some comments in your reply, hopefully yourself or someone else can provide some assistance.

1. You'll need to say more about their product--is it made from malted grains, or only from sugars and grain extracts? In other words, is mashing and lautering part of the process, or just boiling, fermentation, and clearing?

There is no real product. This is merely an imaginary business for the purpose of my school project. I am however attempting to make it as realistic as possible without it ever existing. Saying that the process for brewing this beverage would need to comply with the correct format and using the correct ingredients in the correct order and utilizing the correct equipment and time periods. In response to your question regarding what is it made from, I can only say...What would you suggest? Then based on your suggestion, what equipment and capacities (Malter, etc) would I need if I were to be producing 14 barrels.

2. The usual production capacity of a nano-scale brewery ranges from 1 to 7 barrels (a barrel is around 31 U.S. gallons). It is difficult to achieve profitability at a capacity below 7 barrels, because the labor involved in producing a single batch of beer is no different for 1 barrel vs. 7 barrels, and it's much more efficient if your labor results in a larger quantity of product.

Based on that I would say we will produce 14 barrels and have the custom for it.

3. I think you are in a better position to answer that than we are--what are the ingredients, where are you sourcing them, and how much goes into each batch?

I dont know what Ingredients are involved? That's why im asking the people who do. If you were to be making 14 barrels of Brew XX utilizing your preferred method, how much of the ingredients would be required and what would the cost be. I really have no clue as to anything with this but know I need to provide answers.

4. Again, that depends on your batch size and process, and considering that we are homebrewers, it will be tough for us to answer. Your man-hours will be no different than non-gluten-free brewing that follows the same process, so you might ask in a pro-brewer forum.

Thank you, I will ask in a pro brewer forum.

5. Providing kegs of gluten-free beer can be problematic, because kegs often share tap-lines with non-gluten-free beers, allowing for cross-contamination and an end-product that will not be tolerable to some gluten-free drinkers. Bottles are more fool-proof, but if you can get your restaurant and bar customers to dedicate a tap to your product, some risk will be mitigated. Nevertheless, I am currently unaware of any gluten-free brewery that is packaged for distribution in kegs. New Planet, Bard's, Green's, Harvester, New Grist, St. Peter's Sorgham, Redbridge, Glutenator, etc. are all packaged in bottles, and I have never seen or heard of them being served on draft. If you decide to bottle rather than keg, your packaging costs will be increased--you will need a bottling line, which is a substantial investment, and bottles are more expensive than kegs and non-reusable. However, they are also easier to move, and can be sold more widely (as well as directly to consumers). As for exact costs, again, a pro-brewer forum will be more helpful.

Great, Thanks again for the info.

6. To figure out kegs per batch is simple: calculate net beer output from each batch (total batch size minus wastage), divide by capacity of kegs. Kegs come in a variety of sizes, and I don't know what typical wastage quantities are like for commercial beer production. Some volume will be lost to yeast, trub, and inefficiencies.

Thanks again.

So I would like to say that due to the nature of this product (Not real), I am more interested in the impacts of a time and money nature. In other words, I would like to follow a real process to achieve my end product but I am more concerned about

1. What equipment is required for making 14 barrels per batch and an estimated cost for each piece of equipment.
2. Amount and cost of ingredients (approximatley) for 14 barrels of beer brewed in a way that is dictated by the equipment.
3. Amount of time to brew 14 barrels from start to finish (again approximatley)
4. Anything else I would need to know to calculate my ROI on this project (purchasing the equipment required to make 14 barrels of beer per batch which are all successfully sold)

The more you can tell us about what you already have figured out, the better.

Back