Apfelwein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JavaBeans

Reaction score
I found 3 gallons of fresh juice, but can I add 2 gallons (with preservatives) to make up the difference?

Will the preservatives just kill the yeast? I'll drive to find more if I have to, but I have 2 gallons or regular stuff in my pantry. Thanks.

Don't use anything with potasium sorbate- that is what you use to halt fermentation in wines. Some other preservatives can be ok, but not sorbate! It will never ferment with sorbate in it- it will rot first.

Yooper Chick said:
Don't use anything with potasium sorbate- that is what you use to halt fermentation in wines. Some other preservatives can be ok, but not sorbate! It will never ferment with sorbate in it- it will rot first.

Thankyou Brewmistress. I will not use the apple juice in my cupboard then.

Brewmistress... I like that.

I think it's ascorbic acid that people have said is alright as a preservative as it is just vitamin c, though I still haven't started my first batch. The equipment comes in friday!

I ended up buying 5 gallons of preservative free juice from a place called Trader Joe's. Though next batch I might just use what I normally drink from the super market assuming dextrin won't affect the yeast.

Reading the package I assume dextrin is what is adding the fiber it(the apple juice) boasts. Further reading makes me wonder if the juice with dextrin would lead to an apfelwein with greater body?

Ascorbic Acid is definitely ok.

I made a batch with 5 gallons of motts apple juice (had ascorbic acid) and wheat yeast. Turned out really tasty.

Back