Force Carbing for a party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I keged my beer on Sun 5 Dec with 20# and let it cool down at 35 degrees
then on monday cranked up to 30# and shook it up and let it set over night
still flat, I am haveing a party on Sat night any thought on how to carb it up??:drunk:

You could just set it to serving pressure until Saturday, and it will be about where you want it by then, most do it for a whole week.

How long did you shake it around for? Maybe you have a leak somewhere?

That's a long time at 30psi. Here's a question: when you pour a sample for testing, do you get a huge amount of foam on top of a flat beer? That's a sign of an OVERcarbonated beer.

dial down t 8 psi (that is where I like to serve) I doubt it is overcarbed.

i would set it at 15 psi til thursday and then test it at 8 psi.

I was doing the same thing for thanksgiving, same timeframe.

Thanksgiving Day, I was apologizing to people that the stout was undercarbed, (and getting funny looks) when I tried it again, only to find that Jesus himself had stopped by and turned my flat beer into carbed.;)

When your beer is comming out of the faucet, is there any bubbles or head? I typically do not use the shake/force carb method, but it would appear that you should have at least some carbonation.

Seems like you would have some carbonation either way, but did you remember to purge the O2 when you connected CO2? Probably has nothing to do with it, but just throwing another idea out there.

Well then it should have carbonation. I usually set mine around 10-12. When I used to force carb by shaking, I would do it for 10 min, purge it, then set to serving pressure. I would basically shake until I could barely hear any co2 going in. Worked descent for me.

Back