'Proper' pouring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iijakii

Reaction score
I've been using a single clear bottle in my past few batches just to pay attention to the yeast layer on the bottom. I'm finding that if I don't slosh my beer around when pouring, I can dump the whole bottle into my mug and the yeast pretty much stays caked to the bottom of the bottle.

Anyone else not worry about proper pouring and leaving a quarter inch in the bottle?

Yeah, that's about how I do it too. Get the most out of the bottle without getting too much in your glass to overflow and leave the yeast in the bottle. Sounds like you have it down pat.

I've noticed the same thing with a few varieties of beers. I still pay attention to the sediment on the bottom to preserve a clear pour for most styles. For my Belgian style beers I pour about 2/3 of the beer into my glass, swirl the remaining beer around to stir up the yeast and pour that into my glass to get the most out of the yeast character into the flavor of my beer. So, I suppose it will depend on the style.

When I use a secondary fermentor I'm more confident in the fact that most of what's on the bottom of the bottle is merely yeast, and a little bit of the mother never hurt anyone...unless you're trying to impress someone with presentation.

Cheers,
TB

I've been using a single clear bottle in my past few batches just to pay attention to the yeast layer on the bottom. I'm finding that if I don't slosh my beer around when pouring, I can dump the whole bottle into my mug and the yeast pretty much stays caked to the bottom of the bottle.

I've noticed this too- depending on the type of yeast I used for the beer. Certain strains seem to cake to the bottom of the bottle pretty firmly, other strains I need to be more careful with when I'm pouring if I don't want that yeasty cloudiness.

If you pour the beer into the glass in a single pour, you will get a lot less sediment. When you tilt the bottle back up, it can make for some sediment issues. You've got the right idea for sure.

I just watch the neck of the bottle, and when I see any sediment, stop pouring, and drink whatever is still in the bottle.
Except for Wheat and Saisons, which should be hazy.

In my latest Pale Ale, the sediment is very clumpy and will break up and float around if I slosh too much; "dumping" is out of the question for this one. My previous Blonde Ale was really solid and stuck to the bottom.

Pour style also depends completely on the beer, level of carbonation, and expected head. But that goes for any beer.

Yeast strain has a lot to do with it. Some will stick to the bottom very well. Others will loosen up as the beer is tilted. It bothers a lot of other people more than it does me if I get a little yeast in the glass.

Latest posts

Back