Dry Hopping Amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe where I'll be dry hopping for the first time (an Irish Red with a nice hoppiness (Cascade), so I guess call it an Irish-American Ale). I was curious if there is an appreciable aroma difference between 0.5oz and 1.0oz of whole hops for dry hopping (5.25 gallon batch)? I don't want the hoppiness to be out of control, but want a nice nose to it. Your experiences?

EDIT: I've also read the BYO article on dry hopping....I'm just looking for some personal descriptions or something along those lines.

:mug:

Just transferred my Irish Red over to the carboy last night. Dry hopped with .5 oz. of Cascades (pellet), too. I'm looking forward to trying it.

I'll put a 1/2 oz in for a week and then if I want more, I'll replace it. My most recent, Bent Rod Rye, I did 1/2 oz cascades for a week, then some Fuggles & EKG for another week.

My IPA had 1.25 oz each of Cascade and Amarillo for two weeks. No grassy flavors or aromas. Your 1/2 ounce will be fine. If you didn't have any late addition hops in the boil the aroma will be more subtle.

Latest posts

Back