Something floating on my beer - is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
I haven't been here in a while, mostly because the internet filter at my new job blocks anything alcohol related.

When I came home today, I checked on my Oatmeal Stout that I'm planning on bottling tomorrow. Much to my surprise, there's something floating on top. I've never had this happen before. It looks like it could be yeast (which would be odd), or (and I hope not) some kind of mold (or worse). It's a light brown color and comprised of mostly small-ish specks.

The beer's been in the secondary for almost three weeks, and the airlock might have dried out a little too much (it's very dry in here) - I tried to keep it filled w/ vodka, but it may have evaporated below the point where air could get inside.

So, how do I tell if it's ruined or not? I smelled it, and had my wife smell it, and we both think it smells normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I seem to get this as well with my lagers and I have never had a beer go bad because of it! I would say don't worry about and try not to keep opening it up.

Well, I hope I'm just over-reacting. I'll go ahead and bottle tomorrow and hope for the best.

can you take a picture and post it? we really can't tell from words...I owuldn't jump to bottle it until we or someone in your town who knows can actually see what it is...

RDWHAHB.

Most likely it's yeast. I've had a few of my batches do that. The yeast settles to the bottom and then a week or two later, these floaties appear. Actually, my oatmeal stout that's been in my primary for about 3 weeks has them. I haven't tasted it or anything, but I'm not worried.

Even with a dried out airlock, the odds that something will get in is pretty slim. And even if it does, the alcohol would probably kill it.

can you take a picture and post it?

I actually tried taking some photos, but you can't really tell anything from them.

Based on the other comments, and the fact that it doesn't smell "off", and both my wife and I think it looks like dead yeast, I'm going to go ahead and bottle it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Latest posts

Back