I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That's worth getting that stupid song stuck in my head. Never seen the muppets version before.

5 miles today. Only managed 12 minute miles (or a little over) and I thought I was going to start crying at the end, but it's up and down hills the whole way and I went the hard direction on the first lap. I can't figure out how a loop trail can be so much harder in one direction than the other.

Rewarding myself and celebrating my wife's bday week with what I hope will be the best Pad Thai I've ever made and some well aged Orval later. :D

That's worth getting that stupid song stuck in my head. Never seen the muppets version before.

5 miles today. Only managed 12 minute miles (or a little over) and I thought I was going to start crying at the end, but it's up and down hills the whole way and I went the hard direction on the first lap. I can't figure out how a loop trail can be so much harder in one direction than the other.

Rewarding myself and celebrating my wife's bday week with what I hope will be the best Pad Thai I've ever made and some well aged Orval later. :D

I rode 5 miles to pick up my vanagon. In my defense it was all up hill, but I was totally winded. Shameful.

TNGabe, LRB, Well done! Today muyst have been the 5 mile day. I know my eliptical is nothing compared to actual running but I have to start somewhere. Six months! :mug:

Well, I delivered all of my entries for the beer competition today. The judges will do the tasting and scoring one week from today. They will be announcing the winners Saturday at the beer fest. I can't wait!

This morning I decided to dig out my rock tumbler. I used to do a lot of lapidary work and jewelry making a few years back. I think it's been almost 6 years since I had the tumbler going. I still have 100's of pounds of various minerals. I liken the rock tumbler to brewing, because it can take 6-8 weeks of waiting for final results.

I was thinking of German bands I like and could only come up with Tangerine Dream. How could I forget these guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I said something about disliking plumbing last night. Yeah, I really dislike plumbing. Got home tonight and was informed the toilet is still leaking. *sigh* Ok, removed toilet. Wax ring doesn't look like it's been messed up. Nevermind. Remove wax ring. Install press fit toilet flange so the sub floor can move relative to the sewer pipe a bit without breaking it's seal. Install a new wax ring. Install a stabilizer thing on top of that. Reinstall toilet.

Go down stairs and verify the leak for myself, just in case. While taking a good look at the leak, I discover it's not the toilet ring that was leaking at all. It's the joint between the vertical sewer pipe and the elbow just before it heads into the stack. Clean out the old pipe sealant stuff. It pretty much disintegrated in my hand. Jam the joint full of leftover wax ring.

Yeah, I think I'll have a drink now.

The silicone O-ring thing really works well. I put a couple on my stir bar and it's really quiet now. I have to turn it up farther to pull a good vortex, but it still works well.

Arghh, I have to go back to page 1027 to catch up and this is page 1036. :rockin:

I've been busy learning about wild gardening/farming. Seems others have the same vision I do, so teamed up with them. A conference thing that I really want to attend coming up. Meanwhile, gathering info about what does good "in the wild" around here. Our land is flourishing with natural resources. I will take advantage of the land.... without taking advantage of it.

Arghh, I have to go back to page 1027 to catch up and this is page 1036. :rockin:

I've been busy learning about wild gardening/farming. Seems others have the same vision I do, so teamed up with them. A conference thing that I really want to attend coming up. Meanwhile, gathering info about what does good "in the wild" around here. Our land is flourishing with natural resources. I will take advantage of the land.... without taking exploiting it.
Good for you BL.

I'm in a chill mood tonight. I'm settling for sugar free koolaid tonight. It hasn't been that long since I got hammered. I think I'll give my liver a little more time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHtQ4-WBkis"]The Beach Boys- Kokomo lyrics[/ame]

Dr Demento.. Wow old schoool :)

BobbiLynn, glad you've been busily productive and learning stuff. You never cease to amaze! This :mug: for you!

LG, I hear you on the plumbing stuff. I had a hard enough time trying to make clean solder joints on my wort chiller! There is certainly a technical aspect but is also the work of an artisan I think. I'm good for some basic plumbing, and PVC, ABS sure make life easier but aside from putting in a simple sprinkler system or cleaning out the sink stink trap, not confindent in my expertise Good on you! :mug:

Nice!

Did I mention I bought a new sample tube for my hydrometer last weekend? It's an Eiffel tower vase. I couldn't find an actual sample tube that was glass, and all the plastic ones start retaining flavors or degrading after a while. I picked it up for 10 bucks at the local Michaels, along with my nephews Christmas present.

That's a really nice looking sample tube. My current one is gigantic, must hold 10 ounces which is a ridiculous waste. Haven't used it much since I started using a...... Dear lord, I forget what it's called. I haven't brewed in forever - I'm going brain dead.. You know, the thing you put a drop of liquid on and get a readout... Man, brain fart to the extreme.

Somebody help please!

That's a really nice looking sample tube. My current one is gigantic, must hold 10 ounces which is a ridiculous waste. Haven't used it much since I started using a...... Dear lord, I forget what it's called. I haven't brewed in forever - I'm going brain dead.. You know, the thing you put a drop of liquid on and get a readout... Man, brain fart to the extreme.

Somebody help please!
A refractometer. You need to brew again fast man. You know you can't go cold turkey like that!

A refractometer. You need to brew again fast man. You know you can't go cold turkey like that!

Whew! Thanks LG. Before long I'm going to forget the meaning of specific gravity. :eek:

It's going to be 4-5 months till I brew again. My wife has the idea that when I finally get my arse moved over to Hawaii, she's going to throw a house warming party where we'll all make beer and cheese. Sounds cool sort of but I don't really see that happening. I'm going to have to brew a few times to remember how. Cheese making at a party. Not to sure about that.

Speaking of cheese. I don't know where the hell my traditional cheddar I made in February now lives. This summer was so nuts with all the packing and moving stuff. I lost track of it. Hopefully it's in the back of my tennant's refridgerator and they didn't throw it out. I did talk to them about it shortly after I moved but don't remember ever picking it up..

So, here's the plan for the kegerator. A 10lb co2 tank with a dual regulator. Three 5 gallon ball lock kegs. One four way individually valved high pressure manifold for soda. One three way individually valved low pressure manifold for home brew. 1/4" ID line for the gas side. 5/16" for the liquid side. One 3 tap tower. One high pressure line run externally with a pin lock gas connector on it. I have the pin lock adapters for 2 liter bottles, so I can make just a bottle of soda too. Once it's all setup anyway.

I'm planning on building out the mini fridge I started modifying, and installing the tower through the wooden collar. I'm open to suggestions of how to do the high pressure external line. I'm wondering how to do it without making it look like crap. This is going to be in my living room when it's done after all.

Whew! Thanks LG. Before long I'm going to forget the meaning of specific gravity. :eek:

It's going to be 4-5 months till I brew again. My wife has the idea that when I finally get my arse moved over to Hawaii, she's going to throw a house warming party where we'll all make beer and cheese. Sounds cool sort of but I don't really see that happening. I'm going to have to brew a few times to remember how. Cheese making at a party. Not to sure about that.

Speaking of cheese. I don't know where the hell my traditional cheddar I made in February now lives. This summer was so nuts with all the packing and moving stuff. I lost track of it. Hopefully it's in the back of my tennant's refridgerator and they didn't throw it out. I did talk to them about it shortly after I moved but don't remember ever picking it up..
I dunno. Brewing I can see as being a bit of a party. It takes a while and you don't have that much to do during a fair bit of it. Cheese making though? That's really either let things sit for days, or stare at it so it doesn't scorch. I can't see that being a great party. Meh, that's just me though. I like cheese, so I make it. To me it's work though.

To Quote Mojo Nixon "George Jones sings so good, it'll make your dick hard."

Me your mama and some other whooooore, floatin down the river on a ****house doooooor. Gonna tie my pecker to ma leg to ma leg, gonna tiiiiie my pecker to ma leg!

LG, any idea on why my puter fan stirplate doesn't really pull? i've got a liter starter going now, but it's got less than an inch vortex going. Buddy made it and gave it to me. I should just be happy people like to give me stuff, but I'd be even happier if I coould build the yeast for a baltic porter.

LG, any idea on why my puter fan stirplate doesn't really pull? i've got a liter starter going now, but it's got less than an inch vortex going. Buddy made it and gave it to me. I should just be happy people like to give me stuff, but I'd be even happier if I coould build the yeast for a baltic porter.

I'd be happy to take one of those off your hands. :D

In all honesty it's likely cheaper to make one - even while buying all the parts, including good rare earth magnets (that are far better than the ones that cheapasses salvage from hard drives... they suck, seriously) - than the overall cost of shipping one across the border to you.

In fact, it really took a LOT of convincing - no doubt one of my slicker moments (though remaining 100% honest) - for the guy behind the Black Maxx to pay substantially more to send one of only the handful of units in existence to me instead of another of the dozens of Americans that were pleading their own cases. :eek:

Back