Lagering Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
OK, so I'm a very experienced brewer, but had never attempted a lager until a few weeks ago because I didn't have a good means of temp control until a few months ago.

I was pretty confident in my process - I pitched and fermented with Saflager W-34/70 at 52 ambient temp for 9 days before I hit 75% of FG, then raised the temp to 70F for 48 hours for the d-rest. I then lowered the temp 5 degrees a day from 70-65-60-55-50-45-40-35, and held at 35.

I was at 35 for about 5 days before my display cooler has decided it is low on freon or something of that nature, and started slowly warming up, until about 5 days later it is now holding steady at about 55.

So, I'm about 28 days from brewday and am now "lagering" at about 55F. What's going to be the net result of conditioning at 55F instead of lagering at 35? I figure that I'm not far enough out of range to get off flavors or make steam beer, but I'm certainly not lagering....

Lagering at near freezing temperatures gives the beer it's distinctive "clean, crisp" lager taste. It'll still be great if not lagered that cold, but maybe not as crisp and clean as it could be.

Is there any room in the fridge for a block of ice in a plastic container? (for collecting melted ice)

That would drop the temp down almost to freezing.

Oh, you're in FL... That might not woirk as well as it would up here.

It's worth a shot...plenty of room for me to cycle some ice in there and get the temp down a bit more. Good suggestion!

Back