What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a gravity sample of my Enjoy By clone. First time using WLP090, and it is an absolute beast. Clean taste and took my OG of 1.082 down to 1.010 in 4 days...maybe less. This is my new go-to strain for American ales.

Dave1096 said:
a gravity sample of my Enjoy By clone. First time using WLP090, and it is an absolute beast. Clean taste and took my OG of 1.082 down to 1.010 in 4 days...maybe less. This is my new go-to strain for American ales.
U make a starter?

Picked up 2 of these bad boys after work today. Couldn't wait long to break into it.

The end is beer

11kutdf.jpg

U make a starter?

Yeah, I made a 2L starter and pitched around 6pm Friday night. When I woke up Saturday morning and checked the fermenter I got worried that I didn't have a blow off set up because I had about 3 inches of krausen and an airlock that was going insane. By Monday the krausen had all fallen and fermentation seemed to have just about finished (visibly, anyway). Took a gravity reading today, and I couldn't believe I had already reached my FG. It probably attenuated completely in about 60 hours...unbelieveable. I'm gonna leave it in the fermenter for another 3 days or so to let it clean up a bit, but I'm completely amazed with my first San Diego Super Yeast experience.

Channel66 said:
Another Belgian IPA before we head out for "date night" going to limit myself while out to tear back into that keg when I get home 60oz. It was tasty, 100% galaxy? Nice mower, rear PTO as well?

100% galaxy fermented with wlp 410 super warm, bottled with wyeast Brett Brux. About 1g ea of black pepper and coriander with the flameout hops. Pretty close to anchorage for about 12$ less a bottle.

Yeah, rear pto. It's too small for the front end loader, it's got just enough power to get yourself into trouble. It lives here, but it's my father(in-law)'s. Cost more than both our cars together are worth. The little tractor and dump truck that came with my I-do's were what convinced me I play farmer for a couple years.

Dave1096 said:
Yeah, I made a 2L starter and pitched around 6pm Friday night. When I woke up Saturday morning and checked the fermenter I got worried that I didn't have a blow off set up because I had about 3 inches of krausen and an airlock that was going insane. By Monday the krausen had all fallen and fermentation seemed to have just about finished (visibly, anyway). Took a gravity reading today, and I couldn't believe I had already reached my FG. It probably attenuated completely in about 60 hours...unbelieveable. I'm gonna leave it in the fermenter for another 3 days or so to let it clean up a bit, but I'm completely amazed with my first San Diego Super Yeast experience.
I assume that the 090 is what stone uses?

I assume that the 090 is what stone uses?

I don't think so, but it's supposed to be a good substitute for Stone's house strain. There were rumors that WLP090 was Stone's house strain, but that has apparently been denied by White Labs, or Stone, or somebody. Who knows.

I worked with a Kevin V. that showed up on another home brewing forum and he disappeared after I started posting. was just wondering if it was the same Kevin.:mug:

Hah, strange. I've got this same username on BA, but don't use it anywhere else. Never been up your way though. Only the east coast and the south coast. :mug:

I love that yeast, but every time I use it I have to increase the amount of hops I use because I have noticed that it mutes them a bit. Just wait till you see how tight that yeast cake packs... You can pour to the bottom of a bottled conditioned beer and it stays in the bottle. :rockin:

Drinking some HB rye saison

BrewinHooligan said:
I love that yeast, but every time I use it I have to increase the amount of hops I use because I have noticed that it mutes them a bit. Just wait till you see how tight that yeast cake packs... You can pour to the bottom of a bottled conditioned beer and it stays in the bottle. :rockin: Drinking some HB rye saison
Is it a tough strain to harvest being the cake is so tight

I love that yeast, but every time I use it I have to increase the amount of hops I use because I have noticed that it mutes them a bit. Just wait till you see how tight that yeast cake packs... You can pour to the bottom of a bottled conditioned beer and it stays in the bottle. :rockin:

Drinking some HB rye saison

The amount of hops shouldn't be an issue. Here's the recipe...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/stone-enjoy-ipa-420167/

The author is some kind of cloning savant. He's really, really good at picking apart a commercial beer and duplicating it.

FermentNEthinG said:
Thanks for that Info! I saved that for future reference. I have a Belgian golden ale I would like to try this out on.

Those quotes were from 2011, since you said that you had a self-ejecting cork, I'm assuming you had a 2012 (black cage) or older bottle. I never thought of it, but it looks like I'm going to start saving some dregs now also.

allenH said:
Those quotes were from 2011, since you said that you had a self-ejecting cork, I'm assuming you had a 2012 (black cage) or older bottle. I never thought of it, but it looks like I'm going to start saving some dregs now also.
Since I have some access to 2013 bottles, does that mean there might be some active sacc left, since they haven't reached explosive carb level yet? Or does the Brett dominate? Noob here.

Edit: this is what I'm talking about

image-2254671045.jpg

Drinking more HB black pepper Saison.

allenH said:

What color are the cages on a 2013? Mine came with gold cages. I can't find a date anywhere so I assume he dates on the case.

More fireball with cider.I'm no expert but dose this box of cheese sticks look fuzzy?

Or is this normal?

Just scrape the mold off it'll be fine.

Change of plans, a neighbor dropped off a bottle of his what I assume to be a saison by taste. Cage and corked in a three philosophers bottle with the label half removed, corked with wine cork. Had to use a corkscrew to remove it. It was ice cold on my doorstep when I got home with a note to enjoy. So we'll see, I gave him an old aluminum kettle and Turkey fryer burner awhile back, I guess a .750 of extract saison is fair trade. Tastes like 3711

20131015_201839_HDR_Hagrid_zps87d758b7.jpg

20131015_202741_HDR_zpsda52542b.jpg

Just scrape the mold off it'll be fine.

Change of plans, a neighbor dropped off a bottle of his what I assume to be a saison by taste. Cage and corked in a three philosophers bottle with the label half removed, corked with wine cork. Had to use a corkscrew to remove it. It was ice cold on my doorstep when I got home with a note to enjoy. So we'll see, I gave him an old aluminum kettle and burner awhile back, I guess a .750 of extract saison is fair trade. Tastes like 3711

My wifey likes your wifeys wine thanks brah!

FermentNEthinG said:
What color are the cages on a 2013? Mine came with gold cages. I can't find a date anywhere so I assume he dates on the case.

2013's are gold, but that could be used for other years as well, every 2012 I have had used a black cage. Most of the time the cork will have the date on it and the brewery logo, sometimes they are blank. Those are the problems with a one man operation, haha

Back