Use Funnel/Filter for Wort to Fermenter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denefi

Reaction score
Hey all -

Quick question for a noob. I'm in the midst of brewing my 2nd batch. I'm using a Brewer's Best Red Ale kit. I'm doing a 2 stage fermentation... first stage in the plastic 6 1/2 gallon pail, 2nd stage in a 5 gallon glass carboy.

My batch is currently boiling on the stove. When I transfer the wort over to the pail, should I pass it through the funnel and filter I have? If not, should I try to scoop out the hop pellets that are in the wort, or let them remain in for the fermentation?

Any help is much appreciated! I just finished drinking the last of my first batch - - an English style Pale Ale - - and am hooked!

Many thanks!

Dennis

I use a mesh kitchen strainer that fits into the funnel. The first time I brewed I used the filter screen in the funnel and it clogged very badly took forever to get all of the wort through it. It is ok if some of the hops get into the fermenter. Just remember to sanitize anything that will contact the cool wort.

This is a preference thing. Some people hop in bags so there is nothing much to strain out to begin with, some people strain (I do, but without the funnel) and some let it all go into the primary and then leave it behind when siphoning. I have heard some people say that straining will reduce flavor, but I haven't found that to be the case with home brews that I have had, that were strained. Good luck.

The first time I brewed I used the filter screen in the funnel and it clogged very badly took forever to get all of the wort through it.

This happens to me also because my strainer isn't very big... I just scoop some of gunk (hops/grain) out of the strainer with a sanitized spoon, and then continue pouring.

Thank you all very much! That was quick.. I literally registered on here about 20 minutes ago to ask this question.

I'll be sure to keep reading these forums. Cheers

I usually use some Irish Moss and try and get it cool real quick which puts all the sediment like hops down into the bottom of the kettle. No real need to filter then.

Don't really need to do it anyways, however I like to keep it out of my fermenter if possible.

I do also use a steel mesh strainer as well, to get the majority of the crap out of the fermenter.

Back