I used some expired yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a couple packs of Safbrew S-33 yeast in my fridge that expired last summer. I decided I'd try using that in my Peach ale this past Friday. While hyrdrating the first pack, it didn't get all frothy like most do. Being a little worried, I added the second pack into the cup with it. After this it looked a lot more normal in the cup.

So, I double pitched the S-33 in a 5G batch with 1 of the packs being a bit suspect. In just a few hours though, the airlock was going steady. Having used a 6 gallon Better Bottle for primary, it got close, but never blew off. Today (Monday), the krausen has already dropped. For all the batches I've primaried in a BB, this has got to be about the fastest I've seen the krausen drop. Keeping my fingers crossed that my cheapness doesn't get the better of me. I figured I could easily re-pitch some fresh S-05 if I didn't get any fermentation activity.

yeah, given that the fermentation took off rather quickly, I'm not too concerned. I've never used any dry yeast that was expired for more than a month or so prior to this so I was just second guessing myself for going out on a limb here when I have plenty of fresh yeast laying around. I really wanted to try the S-33, but have never gotten around to it until now.

I use expired yeast a lot....sometimes they're expired like 3 years and still work.

Just make sure you make a healthy starter. Be sure to smell and taste it before using to make sure there are no off odors/flavors. ;)

I used a pack of US-05 about a month ago that was 10 months expired.....the beer turned out great. I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it, but on the few occasions it has happened to me it hasn't been a problem.

Back