Dry hop Floaters - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoolmaster

Reaction score
I kegged 10-gallons of my "American Homebrew Day" IPA and force carb'd it. I'm now pouring lots of dry hops floaters that apparently got pulled in from the fermenter.
As I pour more pints it is getting better, but I've got an event that I need to bring one of these kegs to in a week and want to try and solve this problem.
I figure I've got a few options...
1. Pull a few more beers and let it be. There are just gonna be some floaters and that is that. Problem is that this event isn't really for homebrew it is more of a commercial beer event. Our club has a table there and got the ok to serve samples of homebrew. No commercial brewery would allow hops floaters and if I pour any of this I'll make homebrew look like some hick past time.

2. Take the keg, as is, to the event and pour off pitchers. Let the floaters settle and then pour from the pitcher carefully. I may not be the individual pouring this beer, so that means I may have some no-brain bimbo pouring glasses of salad, even if I do get her to put it in a pitcher first.

3.Filter it somehow. I don't have any kind of filter system that I can use, and besides, the beer is already carbonated, which seems like it would create a lot of problems filtering, as well as ruin head.

I've used a small stainless strainer, like one you would use for tea, going from the tap to my glass and it catches all the hops, but really does a number on the carbonation.

Any help on solving this problem would be helpful. If not, what can I do next time? I'm thinking about putting a mesh bag over my siphon next time to keep this junk out.

Thanks in advance,
School Master

Do you have another keg? I'd let the "floaters" settle, and then just jump to a new keg without moving the current keg.

What I do is keep the keg where it is, in the kegerator, so I don't stir up the yeast and hops debris. Then, I use two black quick-disconnects and a length of beerline between. Put a little co2 into the receiving keg, then purge. Purge the current keg, and reset the psi to about 2-5 psi. Stick one black QD on the "old" keg, and then one on the "new" keg. Purge the receiving keg and the beer will flow. Purge every so often to keep the beer flowing. That sounds complicated, but it really isn't. Think of it as jumper cables for your carbonated beer.

The result is a "new" keg of crystal clear beer that can travel without stirring up any sediment at all. I do this all the time, and I'll be doing it for a party on Saturday.

Thanks Yooper,
The only problem I have is that when I transfer from my black fitting through my beer line to my glass I get hops particles. I don't see any difference from transferring from a keg to a glass and a keg to a keg.
Does the fact that I'm going through a closed system (keg to keg) differ from going to an open system (keg to glass)? It would seem that the hops particulate would transfer through both systems.
The down tube, going from the first keg to the next keg would still suck up the hops bits.

Thanks,
School Master

Thanks Yooper,
The only problem I have is that when I transfer from my black fitting through my beer line to my glass I get hops particles. I don't see any difference from transferring from a keg to a glass and a keg to a keg.
Does the fact that I'm going through a closed system (keg to keg) differ from going to an open system (keg to glass)? It would seem that the hops particulate would transfer through both systems.
The down tube, going from the first keg to the next keg would still suck up the hops bits.

Thanks,
School Master

If you let it settle, the hops debris will stop coming up the diptube.

Pull the dip tube and stuff a piece of stainless scrubbie in the end. Re-insert the dip tube and then jumper to a new sanitized keg. Hop particles stay behind and you have clear beer.

I have one dip tube that I have done this to as I dry hop a lot so it just goes in whichever keg needs it.

next time you dry hop put a hop bag over the outlet of your siphon (hopefully an auto-siphon). if you do manage to suck up any hop floaters they get stuck in the bag. when you pull the siphon out the bag and the hop bits in it come with it.

Back