Online recipe formutlation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
I known there are programs that can do this, but I'm wondering if there's someplace I can go online to formulate a recipe based on ingredients I have.

I want to plug in what I have on hand and have it give me recipes using those ingredients.

(Of course, the other option is just to go to the LHBS and "wing it" with the other ingredients.)

Thanks.

I use the spreadsheet feature found here http://hbd.org/recipator/. I use it to "test" recipes I come up with. If you plug in what you have, it will give you some idea of what you'll get. You can then monkey around with it from there.

Cheers!

I'll try that, if I end up just throwing something together. But, what I really want to do is plug in the ingredients that I have and get recipes that use those ingredients.

There's too many variables for that.
The bet thing you can do is look at styles and the ingredients suggested.

If you put up a list of what you have then I'm sure we can suggest something.

orfy said:
If you put up a list of what you have then I'm sure we can suggest something.

Well, this is what I have:

1/2# UK Crystal Malt (~60L)
1/2# Chocolate Malt
1/2 oz. Cascade (Whole Leaf) (I may not actually use these, as they've been in the freezer a while.)
1056 American Ale yeast (harvested from last batch)

So, there goes. Probably the easiest thing to build with this would be a Pale Ale. I just wanted to get some other ideas (since I just did a Pale recently).

:mug: Add 7# dark malt extract and .75# of roasted barley with another 1.5oz. of northern brewers hops and you would a great stout:,) Steep the grains at about 150 degrees for 45 min. in about 2.5 gal. Sparge with another 1-1.5gal of 170 degree water,depends on the size of your pot. I try to do as big of boil as possible. I then put in about a 1# of extract and all the hops and boil for 45 min..Then add rest of extract for last 15 min. of boil for a total boil of 1 hour. Cool, put in fermenter fill up to 5 gal. Pitch at , 75degrees beautiful stout:tank: :

Well, I am partial to stouts, and it's been a while since I've done a darker beer (I've been trying to do lighter ones for summer).

I have a question, though. What does adding most of the extract towards the end of the boil do? I've seen a few recipes call for that, and I don't understand why you just don't add all of the extract at the beginning of the boil (like most extract recipes call for).

Can someone explain this to me? :confused:

Oh, and what do you mean by "try to do as big of a boil as possible"?

And on more thing, is that 7# of liquid or dry extract?

Thanks.

:mug: Well first it's liquid. Second if you google texas two step brewing you can read up on late addition of extract. mostly I do it because less chance of boil over, and if you think about it the extract has already been boiled, so you will just be boiling to get your hops utilization . BYO has some good articles to read on improving your extract brews. And they say to try to do full boils, I have only been brewing since the first of year so doing your a lot of reading and just trying to figure this out myself. Oh! 1 more thing to add to the grain bill,1 # of flaked barley for a regular stout or 1# flaked oats for an oatmeal stout.

Back