What is your boil off rate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your boil off rate?

• 2 qts/hr

• 3 qts/hr

• 4 qts/hr

• 5 qts/hr

• 6 qts/hr

• 7 qts/hr

• 8 qts/hr

• 9 qts/hr

• 10 qts/hr

• over 10 qts/hr

Results are only viewable after voting.
Rack, I have a question for you: How is it that people gauge boil off in percentages? Not trying to call you out or anything, just curious.

I boil off about 1 gallon per hour, which is 16.67% of a 6 gallon boil. However, If I do a 2.5 gallon batch with a 3.5 gallon boil, then its more like 28%. Wouldn't it be more accurate to do it by gallon/qt/liters per hour?

I get between 10 and 15%

On the lower end when the propane tank is closer to empty and the higher end when it is full.

I use a 10 gal megapot and banjo burner

I have about a 17-19% boil off rate. I collect 8 gallons for a 5.5 gallons into the carboy, with a little extra for losses in the system.

Bump :p
Anyone else?

Looks like the sweet spot is about a gallon per hour.
For anyone new to full boils, that should be a good beginning point to use for calculating starting boil volume.

:off:
You'd think that BeerSmith would have change from using a percentage to a volume per hour by now.

It depends on how much I turn up the burner... If I put it on full blast... it is about 1 gallon per hour. If I put it on just enough to keep the boil going, I only lose about 1/3 gal per hour.

Bump :p
Anyone else?

Looks like the sweet spot is about a gallon per hour.
For anyone new to full boils, that should be a good beginning point to use for calculating starting boil volume.

:off:
You'd think that BeerSmith would have change from using a percentage to a volume per hour by now.

I think if you ask most brewers this question, they'll give you a rough estimate. And 1 gallon will usually be their answer. I think it's a pretty universal thing; a gallon or so seems to be the norm unless you have something unusual about your equipment. People say they'd never buy a wide pot because of the evap rate....but seriously....it's a pretty easy fix! It's a lot more difficult to boil down if your system isn't set up for it; very time consuming.

Latest posts

Back