blonde ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sergio_69

Reaction score
Ok, I would like to brew Jamil's blonde ale,
8.5 lb 2 row
.5 maramel malt 10l

1 oz. Williamette @ 60 min

safale us-05

Thought maybe I would split the batch and use citra for 3 gallons so it is limely for swmbo and other 3 gallons without the citra.

Should I still do williamette at 60 and citra dry hopped or can't I do this with the citra in half?

I think the only way TO do this...other than seperate boils would be to do as I think your proposing. Boil the full 60 minutes with the Willamette and continue all the way through with no other hops...flame out...chill...ferment and then dry hop on the back end with the hops of your choice.

Another possiblity would be to do as mentioned above...add a neutral flavoring/aroma hop (Cascade....EKG or whatever) at about 15 minutes and then just dry hop the half that has the Citra...if I'm not mistaken the Citra is pretty potent and will override pretty much everything else..then in YOUR half of the batch you have a beer that has normal bittering and flavoring.

Good luck!

Should I still do williamette at 60 and citra dry hopped or can't I do this with the citra in half?

Yes, the 60 minute hop (willamette) is your bittering hop. When you dry hop with citra, you'll be adding aroma and some flavor, but you still need the basic bittering from the 60 minute hop addition.

Not better, just different, depending on what you are looking for, Tie. What are you trying to make, or are you following a recipe?

I saw this one and it seems like I would like this without the citrus hop. Not sure where sergio is going with this, but I looked up the jamil recipe after reading this and his has fuggles so now I am confused.

I saw this one and it seems like I would like this without the citrus hop. Not sure where sergio is going with this, but I looked up the jamil recipe after reading this and his has fuggles so now I am confused.

Fuggles is an english hop, Tie, similar to East Kent Goldings. Willamette is an american hybrid of one of those (Fuggles or EKG), I don't remember which. All three are not the same, but they share similarities.

For a blonde ale, any number of bittering hops would be fine. I use the Fuggles/EKG/Willamette in a number of different styles, including blonde and cream ales - I like them.

You could also, instead, try one of the high alpha acid hops that are used specifically for bittering - I often use Pacific Gem, for example. But you would need to be careful to not use too much, you'd want to calculate the IBUs and make sure you're in the right range.

You could also said:
Slightly Off topic.....I have now switched to using pretty much just one hop as my standard bittering hop (Northern brewer) as it has virtually no impact on the flavor...and then of course I use whatever is style/ recipe appropriate for the flavor/aroma additions.

I hope that helps

:mug:

Back