Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
games will be MUCH more affordable once I've moved back to civilisation :)

they're like $90 each up here.

How do you purchase games? Steam, GOG, or other online services should offer the same pricing in Nunavut as they do anywhere else in Canada, and you can basically buy from anywhere you have a credit card or payment account as long as you add the right suffix to the store page in a browser - to buy for a US account from China I think I add something like ?cc=us - I got the link from a Steam support request eight or nine years ago and just migrate it as a bookmark whenever I use a new browser. I suppose you might have limited internet bandwidth and be forced to buy games on physical media, though?

How do you purchase games? Steam, GOG, or other online services should offer the same pricing in Nunavut as they do anywhere else in Canada, and you can basically buy from anywhere you have a credit card or payment account as long as you add the right suffix to the store page in a browser - to buy for a US account from China I think I add something like ?cc=us - I got the link from a Steam support request eight or nine years ago and just migrate it as a bookmark whenever I use a new browser. I suppose you might have limited internet bandwidth and be forced to buy games on physical media, though?

If you have the bandwidth to download the games, then yes, Steam is much cheaper. And I do prefer steam games to disk copies.

I don't like paying $20 per gig, tho.

Steam is the way to go. hands down. they even have some decent looking hardware coming out. i really wanna try out the new controller. would be great to not play HD games on this small ass 19" monitor when i have this 55" tv 4' away from me.

also, anyone try out the new battlefront beta? seems fun. sorta.

Steam is the way to go. hands down. they even have some decent looking hardware coming out. i really wanna try out the new controller. would be great to not play HD games on this small ass 19" monitor when i have this 55" tv 4' away from me.

also, anyone try out the new battlefront beta? seems fun. sorta.

My desktop's on a rolling wireframe shelf with an HD cable bundled up with the power strip's cable and ethernet cable running to the TV (and the power outlet and ethernet jack next to it). When not in use, it's in the corner of the room, and it rolls out in front of the couch when we're using it. The wireless keyboard and mouse are on the top shelf for standing use and can be used on a lap desk on the couch when desired, while an Xbox controller is the input device of choice for console ports and such. I highly recommend considering such a setup - there's a millisecond-level lag and minute graphical differences when using a TV for PC gaming so most hardcore enthusiasts abhor the idea (not to mention wireless input devices or console controllers! Gasp!), but as long as you're not twitch gaming online at a professional level, it's not only "good enough", it's downright awesome. In fact, while the wife doesn't like me gaming, she signed off on the setup happily because it doubles as an entertainment system for music (okay, we're not audiophiles), TV, and movies.

Actually, most of the time she's got a Chinese soap opera running on the TV through the desktop while doing work on our laptop. On the positive side, I'm getting a lot of reading done!

Yeah, you should be able to hook it up to the tv directly. Most have RGB connectors, or you could use a DVI->HDMI cable like I do. Hello 46 inch gaming/htpc monitor

My desktop's on a rolling wireframe shelf with an HD cable bundled up with the power strip's cable and ethernet cable running to the TV (and the power outlet and ethernet jack next to it). When not in use, it's in the corner of the room, and it rolls out in front of the couch when we're using it. The wireless keyboard and mouse are on the top shelf for standing use and can be used on a lap desk on the couch when desired, while an Xbox controller is the input device of choice for console ports and such. I highly recommend considering such a setup - there's a millisecond-level lag and minute graphical differences when using a TV for PC gaming so most hardcore enthusiasts abhor the idea (not to mention wireless input devices or console controllers! Gasp!), but as long as you're not twitch gaming online at a professional level, it's not only "good enough", it's downright awesome. In fact, while the wife doesn't like me gaming, she signed off on the setup happily because it doubles as an entertainment system for music (okay, we're not audiophiles), TV, and movies.

Actually, most of the time she's got a Chinese soap opera running on the TV through the desktop while doing work on our laptop. On the positive side, I'm getting a lot of reading done!

for sure. I have it connected to the TV for movies and music and what not, just don't have a controller or wireless anything else to game on. it will be happening soon. trying to finish up my brewstand....

^^Consider a raspberry Pi to replace the media server music part of what your HTPC is doing. Rasplex is pretty slick.

Curious what the hot new PC games are out there now. I just upgraded my video card and for now I'm able to crank the detail up. Had some older game I bought on steam that I couldn't play very easily with decent detail on my old card that I've been having fun with (crysis warhead).

TD

^^Consider a raspberry Pi to replace the media server music part of what your HTPC is doing. Rasplex is pretty slick.

Curious what the hot new PC games are out there now. I just upgraded my video card and for now I'm able to crank the detail up. Had some older game I bought on steam that I couldn't play very easily with decent detail on my old card that I've been having fun with (crysis warhead).

TD

You could do what I do: I only buy games on big sales, which means I usually buy them a year or two after they're released, or even later. That means that I can buy an upper-midrange GPU now and play at high settings for three or four years before I need to consider an upgrade. I built my PC three years ago and haven't even considered a new GPU yet because I'm still able to play my games at high- to max settings.

If the Raspberry Pi suggestion was for me, the downside is that the TV is taken up one way or the other, so it wouldn't change anything except maybe the power bill.

TD

I am curious about the same thing; what game this year will make me want to buy a new video card for Christmas? I haven't had trouble playing anything with my 5 year old HD6850; I usually play on high video settings too. The Xbone hardware isn't much better so ports should still play fine as well. However some modded games (Fallout Vegas) give me a hard time when it comes to large texture packs.

I figure that once large texture mods come out for Fallout 4 I will need to upgrade, but until then I think I am still good.

I am curious about the same thing; what game this year will make me want to buy a new video card for Christmas? I haven't had trouble playing anything with my 5 year old HD6850; I usually play on high video settings too. The Xbone hardware isn't much better so ports should still play fine as well. However some modded games (Fallout Vegas) give me a hard time when it comes to large texture packs.

I figure that once large texture mods come out for Fallout 4 I will need to upgrade, but until then I think I am still good.

I thought Fallout 4 was supposed to be a 30 GB install size. If that isn't already using large textures, I'm not sure what all that space is going towards.

Word. My three year old HD7870 still has at least 2/3 the juice of anything currently occupying the price point I bought it at back in 2012, and more importantly, nothing I've played or tried to play has given me any trouble at high to ultra settings at 1080p resolution. There was a time when keeping up with the industry meant buying a new $700-1000 card every year, but nowadays as long as you're not going into UHD or multimonitor gaming, spending $250 two or three times a decade looks like it'll do the trick. CPUs reached that point some 8-10 years before GPUs did, and both niches have their enthusiasts and hardcore number crunchers who can truly justify the cost of top-level upgrades whenever new hardware comes out, but for 98% of users, even the vast, vast majority of PC gamers, a $250 GPU will do the trick for three to five years, and a $250 CPU will probably cut it for 6-10 years these days.

Every time I see someone type Xbone I always see it as XBone. Now you are going to see it too.

I am trying to decide if I should preorder fallout 4 and buy the DLC season pass from steam guaranteeing me all the DLC's or just wait and buy it separately. $90 is a lot for a game for me, though I wont buy the DLCs individually. Thoughts?

Every time I see someone type Xbone I always see it as XBone. Now you are going to see it too.

I am trying to decide if I should preorder fallout 4 and buy the DLC season pass from steam guaranteeing me all the DLC's or just wait and buy it separately. $90 is a lot for a game for me, though I wont buy the DLCs individually. Thoughts?

With bethesda track record i would. Fallout 3 DLC was awesome. Each one was completely different and added another story line as well as enemies and guns. Imo i would buy it but if you are cautious its best to wait and see what they are. For steam they will be on sale one day anyway

With bethesda track record i would.

I'll second this. I bought ESO Plus once they released the first DLC on PS4 and I haven't even got to explore a quarter of that DLC and they are already releasing another. I almost need a solid weekend to nerdout on that game to catch up to their output. It's all solid content too. I'm just behind.

Every time I see someone type Xbone ...

I always have seen that too.

But after going through 4 360's in a year, I refuse to buy another Microsoft console.

My new roommate's kid has a XB1, so if I do want to play those exclusive games, I just have to go as far as the TV. But I will always get either the PC or PS3/4 versions of anything.

I'm thinking about pre-ordering Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

The first was one of the greatest games of all time. I've tried to play the second four or five times now but just can't get any enthusiasm going for it. Human Revolution was closer to the second than the first - missions and fights/stealth rooms are too self-contained, it feels like you're being guided from task to task, whereas the original game felt like you were going through the world on your own damn terms.

In other words, my own opinion is that pre-ordering a new Deus Ex game is giving Squeenix too much credit.

The first was one of the greatest games of all time. I've tried to play the second four or five times now but just can't get any enthusiasm going for it. Human Revolution was closer to the second than the first - missions and fights/stealth rooms are too self-contained, it feels like you're being guided from task to task, whereas the original game felt like you were going through the world on your own damn terms.

In other words, my own opinion is that pre-ordering a new Deus Ex game is giving Squeenix too much credit.

I never played the first, but I really enjoyed Human Revolution. my wife used to play EQ, never Winter Nights and the such. I never had. then a friend of hers sent us 2 free copies of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. we both enjoyed the hell out of that game. then they sundown that game and we play EQ 2. my wife and I really enjoy it, but it's not the same for me. as Vanguard wasn't the same for her. I'm still gonna get Mankind Divided since I enjoyed Human Revolution as much as I did. for me it's like beer: personal taste.

Yeah, beer in Fallout games is "Beer". Compare to other products like Abraxo Cleaner, Sugar Bombs cereal, Nuka-Cola, and Sunset Sarsparilla - it doesn't even have a brand name. If Fallout lore had a compelling beer brand like Oppenheimer IPA (Irradiated Pale Ale), brewed with four-row (two-headed two-row) barley and hops (when they don't eat the brewer before he can get them in the kettle), and they had a reputable brewer brew a good beer to put in the bottles, I'd be behind it. Instead, it's Carlsberg with a half-assed label containing a couple Fallout references.

They could have at least add some flavor text on the label: "Beer. Beer never changes."

I thought Fallout 4 was supposed to be a 30 GB install size. If that isn't already using large textures, I'm not sure what all that space is going towards.

The textures are sized to work on the weakest system (Xbone) which isn't much better than my HD6850. The PS4 (equal to HD7850) is about 30% faster so will have room for slightly larger textures, and the sky is the limit for PC.
The game should look beautiful on either system at launch but expect 4k textures to come out as a mod for PC soon after release. The map size is rumored to be 3x larger than Skyrim with the density of FO3, we will see if this is true or not in a few weeks.

Also, the install size doesn't say much about the content. Bethesda does a good job with compression, Skyrim was light 6gb install and New Vegas was 5gb. Whereas Call of Duty and Battlefield weigh close to 40gb and Halo 5 will weigh in at 60gb. FPS games tend to use uncompressed textures.

Who is playing Halo 5 all night tonight?
I am not sure what to expect as I didn't do much research into this iteration.
If I finish the campaign this week I will be up for some multiplayer this weekend.

Add me on xbox: damasteredge
or steam: mredge73

Who is playing Halo 5 all night tonight?
I am not sure what to expect as I didn't do much research into this iteration.
If I finish the campaign this week I will be up for some multiplayer this weekend.

Add me on xbox: damasteredge
or steam: mredge73

I'll be playing later tonight. Probably not all night :mug:

GT DistubedChemist

Wow, I just read the last few pages of this thread... and this last page started at post #1251. not sure how I missed this thread all this time or if it was just not on the latest posts when I popped on to read.

Most of my buddies have XB1 so that's what I went with when upgrading the 360. I haven't had it all that long and have only played three or four games on it.

Current game going is Destiny... I have to admit I'm digging it.

Have always been up to date with the COD games but work travel last year by the time I got back I didn't want to go through the pain trying to catch up with everyone else that had been playing it for three/four months.

Wow, I just read the last few pages of this thread... and this last page started at post #1251. not sure how I missed this thread all this time or if it was just not on the latest posts when I popped on to read.

Most of my buddies have XB1 so that's what I went with when upgrading the 360. I haven't had it all that long and have only played three or four games on it.

Current game going is Destiny... I have to admit I'm digging it.

Have always been up to date with the COD games but work travel last year by the time I got back I didn't want to go through the pain trying to catch up with everyone else that had been playing it for three/four months.

same here with Destiny. I still have fun with it and now Halo 5 and Fallout 4 (almost) out. i probably will not be playing Destiny must or at all. Still get frustrated finding groups for raids aka the best part of the game.

oorackm.jpg

I enjoyed the **** out of Halo 1, back when it first came out.

Every iteration since has been very "meh" to me. Don't think I'll even bother with 5, unless I can pick it up for cheap out of the bargain bin in a few years.

All Halos after classic wish they were better than the pistol. Xbox connect + the first game was the dope ****.

I enjoyed the **** out of Halo 1, back when it first came out.

Every iteration since has been very "meh" to me. Don't think I'll even bother with 5, unless I can pick it up for cheap out of the bargain bin in a few years.

All Halos after classic wish they were better than the pistol. Xbox connect + the first game was the dope ****.

@psylocide is this a Halo 1 reference?

I remember when the first Halo released. I played it and hated it. Traded it to a friend for Silent Hill.

@psylocide is this a Halo 1 reference?

I remember when the first Halo released. I played it and hated it. Traded it to a friend for Silent Hill.

Yes. There was (might still be) a program called Xbox connect that allowed you to play games online on the original Xbox through the LAN connection.

Halo 1 online multiplayer is still my favorite online gaming experience ever.

4 head shots with pistol across map, brutal.

I'm just surprised that you hated the first and played any of the others. Oh well. Each to its own.

Ha. Happens a lot. Over time many games have developed into something I enjoy. Some degenerate.

Fallout 1/2 did not interest me. Fallout 3 blew me away. Fallout NV bored me.
COD MW bored me. COD AW is fun with my kids, boring solo.

Halo 5 was bought for my kids. I was hoping it would also hold my interest given the expense.

Back